Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 series 23 buying?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Spparky82
See User information
I am interested in but a 1950 Packard series 23 Briggs body number 2372-3996. The owner wants to sell me the car with a bill of sale he got from the original owner. So two bills of sale one from the original owner to him and then one to me. I live in NJ and I don't think it is possible?? Is it ? Is there s way to check the history of the car with a VN. Not having a VIN I don't know how to check the history of the car. Is the body number sound right? The first four numbers are body type and the second set are the production number? No serial number? Should I buy this car ? Thanks David

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 series 23 buying?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the number 2372-3996 is the number stamped on the metal plate on the cowl just forward of the driver's window, it is the official "vehicle number", or VN. Vehicle identification numbers or VINs, the 14-digit gov't mandated numbering system, didn't come along until long after Packard was gone. If the metal plate in front of the driver's windshield is missing and the 2372-3996 is on a small tag near the heater box, then your original vehicle number is not on the vehicle for substantiation. New Jersey titles such vehicles by vehicle number, not motor numbers. There is no such thing as a serial number of these cars.

Are you saying you're buying the car from a state that issues titles, but you won't get one? If so that may present a serious problem. But if you're buying it from a non-title state (New York for example) all NJ should require is a pencil tracing and/or photograph of the number plate, a bill of sale, and a prior registration. I live in NJ and have been through this a few times, it might take several visits to the DMV but as long as the original vehicle number plate is intact and the vehicle isn't in a registry of stolen cars you should be OK.

Though the paint may have worn off, here's what the vehicle number plate should look like.

PS - in the 23rd series the VN and the Briggs tag number were not necessarily the same!!

Attach file:

jpg  (72.34 KB)
177_55d78cdd4141a.jpg 768X708 px

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 2372-etc is the vin #, such as it was in the day, and is the serial number and is usually also the body number. It will appear on the Briggs body tag on the front of the cowl, and also on a larger square plate on the top of the cowl on the driver's side.

You will have to check with the NJ DMV to see if this is going to fly. It might if the original owner is from a no title state.

There are all sorts of ways around this problem but they are often costly and time consuming. The seller should be prepared to make a major concession for a car with inadequate paperwork.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day David(Spparky82),
to PackardInfo. See you raised this over at the AACA Website with various comments received. But O_D's advice here, seeing he's been through similar exercises a number of times, is very encouraging.

And, when you buy the 2372, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 15:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spparky82
See User information
The owner now states the car is original form NJ and he want to sell me the car with 2 bill of sales. Is that possible? He did mention, with a bill of sale he got from the original owner that lived in NJ and the owner now lives in PA he stated with a bill of sale with would only get a salvage title. I don't know why.

I am farmilar with the pencil sketching or photo of the numbers.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd be VERY insistent on getting the New Jersey title, it will make everything much simplier especially if the owner on that title is the same person who has signed the first of the bills of sale.

That failing, I'd insist the current owner get a title in his name from his state, and then transfer ownership to you. He wants to sell the car, let him bear the burden of the paperwork.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I thought this practice sometimes called " jumping title" was a no no for a privete sale. Only a dealer is allowed to aquire a car and resell it without ever filing for title . You will have issues with this in some states. Why has the current owner not titled or registered the car? Avoiding these pitfalls by purchasing a car from an owner who has registered and driven and cared for a vintage car and who has paperwork and history of prior owners is just one of the reasons these such cars are more valuable and command a higher price. Certainly avoiding wasted time, headaches and hassles upon regi and title are worth a premium.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 19:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spparky82
See User information
I have a question on the VN the last set of numbers are the production number 3996 is what the seller is telling me. How many where made ? Someone corrected it with 2996 which one is it. Is the seller no good??

Posted on: 2015/8/21 21:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If indeed the stamped sequence # was 3996, it's the 1996th 2372 produced as the base or starting number was 2001. Packard kept no records of actual production by body type but it has been estimated (Robert Neal) that 4335 such cars were made, 1835 titled as 1949 models and the balance as 1950 models.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 22:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information

Posted on: 2015/8/22 19:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved