Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator overflow tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I have not had any problem with the cooling of my 41 super eight but when I look into the radiator I do not see any coolant ,. I think this is just because of the inner construction of the tank. I still top it off to the point when I can see coolant and shortly after the car is started it expels the amount I added. I don't want to repeat this but I want to always be sure it has the recommended capacity. I like to keep things original but I recently talked with a Packard owner that has. A 41 that someone added an overflow tank. Has anyone attempted this , any suggestions ?? Thank you

Posted on: 2016/2/14 21:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator overflow tank
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There needs to be a bit of space (air gap) for the fluid to expand when hot, or it will expel through the overflow tube. You're not supposed to fill these radiators all the to cap like you do with modern - overflow bottle type radiators.

Remember water is generally not compressible, so when it expands, that extra volume has to go somewhere. Hence the need for a bit of an air gap at the top.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 22:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe Packard recommended filling the radiator to approx 1" below the sealing surface of cap.

Some have added coolant overflow tanks as efforts for correcting overheating but whether they actually do much more than add a comfort level is debatable. I don't care much for the light color plastic boxes that look out of place in older cars. If I were going to add one I would consider the approx 2" diameter by various length aluminum or stainless tanks that can mount vertically on the side of the radiator cradle. Painted black they are discreet yet serviceable.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
While my '41 is not a Super Eight, it's a 120, it doesn't use "any". ie not enough that you'd notice, coolant since I had my radiator recored last year. Before the radiator was recored I was always adding to it to keep the level up, now that's a thing of the past. And to give some idea of use last month went on a 300 mile round trip and yesterday a 180 mike round trip. Both days the temp was 36c or more. The other thing is, the radiator cap is new so gives a good seal.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.24 KB)
226_56c148539d91b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/2/14 22:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a good radiator and proper-fitting cap an overflow tank provides no benefit.

Posted on: 2016/2/14 23:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved