Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil level in 533
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
How do i check the oil level in the 533? I see what i think is a dip stick but it only turns 90 degrees and does not come out.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2019/4/30 9:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil level in 533
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The answer is in the Owner's Manual which you really should read, lots of useful information on most all aspects of use and maintenance of the car. That manual is available on site, why not download it and read it at your leisure?

You add oil until it reaches the level of the petcock, at which point it is full. That was a very typical method of the era, wide use of dip sticks came along later.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks. We found that if I turned the handle 90 degrees, it would allow the oil to drain out of the motor at the petcock under the engine. If no oil comes out, we need to add oil. Easy...

Posted on: 2019/4/30 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The obvious problem with this type of oil level measurement is that it only indicates when full, there is no way of knowing whether the oil level is just slightly low or empty.

I have fitted a dipstick to my 126 that inserts through the oil filler but it cannot be left in place because it will hit the crankshaft when the engine is running.

To allow the dipstick to be left in place I brazed a tube to the underside of the filler that guides the dipstick clear of the crankshaft but this was done with the engine apart.

A removable dip stick can work, the engine may need to be turned over a little to clear the crankshaft and it must not be left in place.

Posted on: 2019/4/30 22:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Noticing DavidM's Avatar today , I was compelled to attach a photo taken out in front of David's garage from a couple of weeks ago. Our Packard club used David's garage as a run destination then, and the photo is the sight that greeted us on arrival. The 3 Packards on the left are David's '22 1st Series Sport Tourer, '29 633 Runabout and '30 740 Limousine as is the '12 Maxwell The other 2, '29 740 Roadster and '30 840 740 Roadster are owned by friends. After years in a private collection then some time in a museum David was helping to bring the '30 840 740 back to good running condition and a return to the road.

NOTE - Click on photo for a bigger, clearer image.

EDIT - David has informed me I made a mistake. Misidentified a Packard, but now fixed.

Attach file:

jpg  (227.17 KB)
226_5cc910a76a902.jpg 1920X585 px

Posted on: 2019/4/30 22:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved