Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

twin-ultamatic
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
OK I know it is not preferred however has any one any information on a transmission I can install in this 55 and get rid of the twin-ultramatic? Any one that fits into the bell housing from the ultramatic or just fits up to the engine?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:52
 Top  Print   

Re: twin-ultamatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can buy the widely advertised kit to convert to a TorqueFlite 727, but I think it' easier to just rebuild the Twin Ultramatic properly, all the parts are available but make sure you find a rebuilder who's been there before and done them successfully, they shouldn't be trusted to just any automatic transmission guy.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
When rebuilt properly,the twin-ultramatic performs very well and is a smooth joy to drive. I had my 400 rebuilt in 1992 and am still driving and enjoying it. This includes driving from Pittsburgh to Detroit several times and last year driving from Pgh. to the finger lakes area of New York. As Owen states, it is necessary to have someone who knows the transmission rebuild it. Just had the same fellow rebuild the TU in my 56 Caribbean and expect to get many enjoyable miles from it.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The short answer to Quote:
a transmission I can install in this 55 and get rid of the twin-ultramatic? Any one that fits into the bell housing from the ultramatic or just fits up to the engine?
is NO!

The long answer is there are kits to install a Mopar Torqueflite 727 or a GM TH400. Both are expensive and complicated to install. Good cores for these transmissions are no longer easy to find. Modifying a Packard usually lowers the resale value as compared to a good Twin-Ultramatic rebuild.

As always, your car, your money, your decision.

thnx jack vines

Posted on: 2009/6/8 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 55Car,
to PackardInfo.

Maybe young Mat(packard34) can comment on this as he's just finished putting a 727 into his '55 Caribbean although for entirely different reasons and circumstances.

And I invite you to please include your '55 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
I am having problems with the twin ultramatic right now, so while I have it out and am repairing it, I want to put something in.

Where can I get this adapter kit for a 727 or 700r4?

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How do u plan to use the car?????? Will u only drive the car on rare occasions and at low speeds????? Don't care about gas mileage?????

If u do a conversion to some other transmission then an OVERDRIVE Automatic or stick shift trans mite be most desireable.

If the only thing u want to do is poke along at 40 mph and do a little show or parade profileing then just rebuild the T'Ultra.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
The car has not left a 15 mile circle for 15 years..however want to take it 2000km away, so I need a reliable unit for this trip..after that it may be putting aournd again - the car will be our driving for 2 weeks straight

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Ultra-Torq II kit is the adapter pieces for the Torqueflite 727 transmission which you obtain and rebuild. Latest Cormorant News Bulletin has kit at $975 plus shipping.

Sierra Grove Packards
425 E Laurel
Sierra Madre, CA 91024
(626) 355-4023 or (714)539-8579.

IIRC, aside from Matt in Australia, there was another installed by a member who wrote of some problems on the AACA forum a while back. Believe he had some vibration and other issues. Don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer to causes or resolution.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 17:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
I forgot to add, I have a 2004R, so if anyone knew where the conversion kit could be found, that would be great!

Posted on: 2009/6/8 17:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved