Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cost for 1932 Packard motor rebuild?
Just popping in
Just popping in

pchdrive
See User information
Excuse the newbie question.

What is the going rate (ballpark range OK) today for a rebuild of a 1932 Packard Motor?

Any comments or feedback from the forum members will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 16:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Cost for 1932 Packard motor rebuild?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've got some recent experience with a 1934 Eight.

If you do absolutely nothing yourself except deliver the car and drive it home when finished, and you get a "total" meaning such niceties as all nickel plated engine trim redone, radiator recored, starter, generator, water pump and distributor rebuilt, both manifolds reporcelainized, hardened exhaust valve seats installed, flywheel surfaced, rebuilt clutch and pressure plate, plus all the internal work to the highest standard, a top-notch shop with a national reputation would get about $24,000.

If you remove some of the flourishes, remove and reinstall the engine yourself, skip rebuilding the accessories, don't recore the radiator (which is highly recommended to do), and do some of the diassembly, cleaning, painting, running around for parts etc yourself, you should be in the $8,000- $12,000 range.

If you decide to do it yourself and just farm out the machine shop work and the rebabbitting/line boring and the like, you'd probably be down to about $5500-$7500.

If the crank doesn't need turning, you could subtract about $1000.

A good job should include
-block and head tanked, pressure tested, & magnafluxed
-block decked to parallel
-cylinder head surfaced
-probably a new water distribution side plate
-bored or sleeved as needed
-new valve guides
-new cylinder head & manifold studs
-hardened exhaust valve seats, new valves
-new pistons and wrist pins and rings
-crank counter weights removed, turned & polished
-connecting rods straightened, rebabbitted
-main shells rebabbitted and line bored
-new cam bearings
-cam polished at a miniumum
-new timing chain, and possibly sprockets
-all new rocker arm rollers
-lifter bores sleeved if necessary
-lifter pads and lifters resurfaced as needed
-oil pump rebuilt
-flywheel refaced, clutch rebuilt
-all rotating and reciprocating assemblies balanced
-manifolds resurfaced
-and probably a few details I've missed.

In addition it wouldn't be uncommon to find some repair of the aluminum crankcase or oil pan needed.

PS - should have added, babbitt work should be left to someone with a good reputation for that kind of work, it's nothing for the novice or near-novice.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
But... one would also need to know if he's talking about a Twin Six (Twelve) or an Eight. A Twin Six could range anywhere between $10,000 and $50,000.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 16:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pchdrive
See User information
Thank you for the information. I want to know about the Packard Eight.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day pchdrive,
to PackardInfo. Sorry can't contribute to your query although I'm in the midst of rebuilding my '41 120 eight, a somewhat different creature. But I'd like to invite you to include your '32 Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/2/4 23:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm getting my 1932 8 rebuilt now. I figure it will be around $7-8K. The clutch rebuild was $400. I've got a guy who assisted in taking out and will help put it back in ($45/hr). He will take the machine engine and assemble it. As I understand, this work is a lot more expensive in CA than in OR.

Stuff like the manifold, accessories where already done before. The radiator was checked out two years ago.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 1:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

pchdrive
See User information
G'day Mate
Great to hear from Oz. How I do love Sydney. Spent a week there on holiday, it is magnificent!

I do not own a Packard. I would love to own such a piece of automotive history someday. The reason I asked about the rebuild of a Packard 8 motor is this. I am conducting a market survey for a good friend who owns a machine shop/performance motor building business. He is a top notch individual who wants to offer his services to Packard enthusiasts. He is busy and has asked me to assist in reaching out to your community.

He recently did build a 32 Packard 8. I saw the work that he performed and also the finished motor. It looked great.

The feedback provided here about pricing helps a great deal. It has confirmed that he is right in line with the marketplace, perhaps even a bit lower, despite being located in California.

I'm not sure about forum rules or ettique concerning posting a business name so I will not mention it now. But if anyone is interested in working with a top notch engine builder in the SF bay area please feel free to send me a PM.

Respectfully,

pchdrive

Posted on: 2010/2/5 11:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
pchdrive wrote: G'day Mate Great to hear from Oz. How I do love Sydney. Spent a week there on holiday, it is magnificent! I do not own a Packard......
G'day again,

Pity you don't own a Packard. Sydney's not been at it's magnificent best this week, it's been stormy, wet and windy interspersed with sunshine and humidity.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 15:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
As a small addendum to Owen Dyneto's excellent list above, I would add that the block and head should not just be "hot tanked" at the local auto parts store, but taken to a "Chem-strip" type place that does full rust removal using an akline solution through which electrical current is passed. This is especially vital on pre-war engines, where past owners may have run them on plain water for months at a time, and then used substances like alcohol or the older antifreeze mixtures that didn't prevent rust very well. You need to start with a surgically clean block, inside and out, and this is the only process that will get it, 100%, inside cooling passenges, where you can't see, rust free.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 23:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved