Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 239

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Manufacture figure and body #
Just popping in
Just popping in

ambianchi
See User information
As this is my first post I want to tell all you my experience in old cars.
I've already restored 2 cars, a prewar 1940 Mercury coupe and a sport 1966 Fiat 1500 coupe (by Vignale).
Last year I bought a 1941 Packard 110 convertible coupe and now I'm planning it's restoration. What caught my attention of this car was the straight and almost rust free body, the perfect front grill and having all the main trims and accessories. You can see that from the pictures.
The #s on the car are: Theft Proof # <593933> ; engine # D34974; the plate with the body # on the cowl is missing.
From my research the body style # is 1489 and the paint scheme D (apparently hiding behind the light blue paint it's the original groove green)
As all collectors, I want to have as much data from this car as possible so I'll appreciate if someone can help me with the following questions.
How may cars of this body style were manufactured in 1941?
Is it possible to link the TP# with the missing body#?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.77 KB)
2675_4bf2ad62248d1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (128.21 KB)
2675_4bf2ad82598ee.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/5/18 10:11
Experience is the toughest teacher. Teaches after the exam.
110 Deluxe coupe convertible 1941
 Top  Print   

Re: Manufacture figure and body #
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1941 is one of my favorite years for Packards, and a great looking candidate for a fine restoration. Please do it justice and keep it authentic.

ANOTHER car with a missing patent plate (vehicle# plate)!! Why do we see this so often? Once that plate is missing, unless you can recover the original vehicle number from prior documentation like from your DMV or prior owners, there is no way to recover the number unless one of the Roster-keepers for that year might have made note of it in the past.

The correct vehicle number would start as you indicate with 1489, preceeded by a "DE" if it was the Deluxe version (very uncommon). That would have been followed by a hyphen and then a sequential production number for that particular chassis and body style configuration, beginning with the number 2001. Thus the first such vehicle would have thus been 1489-2001 or DE1489-2001.

Packard did not begin to record production by individual chassis and body style combinations until sometime well after WW II, and thus one can only estimate the number of cars the same as yours by locating the highest known production sequence number - this is something that PAC's Roster Keeper may be able to help you with. The highest number known to me in my very limited data base is #2347, but I'd suggest the total production of the six-cylinder convertible was MUCH higher. You might think in terms of perhaps 5 to 10% of production being convertible coupes, though that's just my own guess. Your "thief-proof" or body dash number places you car towards the latter end of 1941 production.

Total production of all six-cylinder Packards in 1941 is given as 34,700; the convertibles and station wagon would have been among those with the lowest production #s. Factory list for the 1489 was $1195 later reduced to $1175. Factory list for the DE version was $1229 later reduced to $1209. By way of comparison, the highest list for a Senior Packard of 1941 was about $4850.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ambianchi wrote:.......Last year I bought a 1941 Packard 110 convertible coupe and now I'm planning it's restoration.......engine # D34974.......
G'day ambianchi,

Or seeing you're from Argentina, buen d?a.
to PackardInfo and to a fellow '41 owner. Also see from the Packard Engine Serial Number Reference available here the range for '41 6 cylinder engines is D1551 -> D36327 so yours is near the end of production.

And a request of you - could you please include your '41 110 Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/5/18 15:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ambianchi
See User information
Thank you for your reply.
I have a clue where to go and search for the original body#.
Does anyone knows where can I get a new blank plate to stamp the body# on it?
I will include my Pack in the Owners Registry when a have some more data of it.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 10:06
Experience is the toughest teacher. Teaches after the exam.
110 Deluxe coupe convertible 1941
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is a vendor on eBay who sells what look to be very nice reproduction patent plates. I believe he will also stamp your Packard information on it too. Go look on eBay in the Packard parts section, it is an old posting so will be down a few pages. Or, PM me and I will send you what information I have.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/5/19 10:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also PI (Packards International) reproduces many of the patent plates also. Just give their main office a call.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 11:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved