Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Just Bought a 55 Patrician
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Hello to everyone, great site and resource! I just bought a 55 Patrician 2 days ago. I've wanted one ever since I saw one at the Hershey Car Show. I've just started working on it. It runs well but I have a few issues to fix before I can take it out for a spin. The BTV seems to be toast, so I'm going to order a reman. Any suggestions as to who is the best Kantner, Ed Strain...?

I also have a big problem with the Torsion level. There were 2 wires that were unhooked that I traced to the TL in the middle of the car. To test it if it worked I hooked it up to the battery and the front end dipped. I immeadiatly unhooked the lead but it stayed put. Any suggestions on how to get her back to level until I sort out the TL system?

Any help is appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.87 KB)
2863_4c3694f0a6d91.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:16
Now, I am the man that owns one!
 Top  Print   

Re: Just Bought a 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hello Steve, and welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for your questions to be answered.

From what I gather, Ed Strain is the choice of many beyond just the Packard BTV unit. Others will chime in.

As far as the TL, Mr. Pushbutton is the authority there. You might search the site and come up with what you need.

Your car looks great!

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome and congratulations on your Patrician. I just bought one myself. The 55-56 shopmanual is available here online and the TL sections should be most helpful, particularly the section on how to manually move the TL system. Disconnect the battery while you reconnect the wires for the TL system.
I have used Ed Strain to rebuild my BTV - just got it back last week. I have used him before and consider him very competent. I have not used anyone else.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Steve's 1st Packard wrote:......just bought a 55 Patrician......
G'day Steve,
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to PackardInfo.
And for including your '55 Patrician Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 23:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations on your very spiffy looking 55. That's a seldom seen but very attractive color combination. Did you get the green or the brown interior?

As to your leveler, relax, they are not too hard to get working properly.

As a temporary expedient, you can level the car with a twelve volt battery charger or a spare battery and some cables: 1) Turn your leveler switch under the dash off (to the left). 2)Hook the pos clamp of your charger anywhere on the frame that's handy. Reach way under from some safe position and touch one of the two terminals on the leveler motor itself. If I recall the upper terminal makes the back go up, and the lower one makes it go down. It will be real obvious which one is which. A couple seconds of running should have you back to level. With this scheme you are bypassing all the controls and limit switches, so don't go have a cup of coffee while the leveler runs--do it just enough to level.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 7:59
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Jim, You and Randy seem to agee with everyone that Ed is the best for the BTV. Randy congrats to you too. Thanks for the heads up on the shop manual info. Is it all online?

Ross, The interior is Maroon with tan brocade (I think, it's old and could have been white) . There are some tears and rotted spots so I'm planning on getting seat covers, headliner and a carpet set from Kantner unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks for the leveler info, there is a jury rigged bunch of stuff under the dash with an additional single position switch that i don't know what it does. I'm glad to find a way to get her straight until I sort everthing out.

From the few posts I read, you can do some damage if you power it down too far!

Living here, so close to Hershey and Carlisle I had to get something cool. I've had a bunch of Muscle and Sports cars in the past, but this is my first 50s classic. Anyone go the shows here in Central PA?

Attach file:

jpg  (28.24 KB)
2863_4c3744db8e57a.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/7/9 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Congratulations on the '55 Patrician. It is a great looking car. Nice engine compartment too. What kind of battery? Interesting in that it has the side posts. Nice car.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/9 11:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another congrats on the car.

Almost all the service literature for 55 is on site. Service, parts, owners manuals and wiring diagram. Also suggest downloading the 55 and 56 tech bulletins and Service Counselors. Lots of mid year or running changes & fixes for 55 are mentioned in those items. Suggest getting the 56 bulletins and counselors as many items mentioned are either for the 55's or also pertinent to the 55. There is also a separate extraction of the wiring diagram for the torsion level system that goes into a bit more detail with the switch which might help your current problem.

To find it all, easiest way is to go to the literature page and down at the bottom there is a view by year button which will bring up the pertinent items.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
We go to the high holy days of Hershey in the fall. Also in about 10 days the National Packard meet starts in Gettysburg.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 19:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve's 1st Packard
See User information
Packards1 I'll try and get to the meet in Gettysburg. If I can get the brakes working I might even be able to drive the 55!

Is there any way to decode the VIN to figure the options and color combinations? Otherwise where do I locate the paint and interior colors on the car? Is there a place on the site for the interior color combinations? I've been looking around and haven't fond that yet. Most of the medallions are pretty worn. Are they available for less than an arm and a leg?

What is the thoughts on replacing the seat covers, Headliner and carpet with reproduction material. Does it diminish the car or is a nice new interior a plus?

HH, thanks I did locate the service manual and some other info on the site. I'm amazed at the depth of the material this site has!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'll post more pics as I work on cleaning her up.

Attach file:

jpg  (1.28 KB)
2863_4c37f3a954865.jpg 64X48 px

Posted on: 2010/7/9 23:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved