Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
259 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 258

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Power Sterring Hose
Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
Hey Big Kev,

I am all new to this and don't know where to ask questions about my 1955 Packard 400. The question I have is about the high pressure hose for the power steering pump. It is dry rotted and I have to replace it with a new one. When I removed the hose I noticed that it has 2 different size hoses. My question is, When I change the hose is it going to make a difference in the way it steers being that the restricter hose is no longer there. Thanks for your help involving the above matter.

Sincerely,

Al Nowak

Posted on: 2010/9/29 6:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Power Sterring Hose
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had a new hose made by a professional who duplicated the change in hose size. It was a neat job and cost me $72.00.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 7:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont have any information on Power Steering hoses as my Clipper does not have power steering. But as Randy mentioned, a local "Hose Shop" should be able to replicate you existing hosed for you.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to this website of a company making OEM and replacement hoses for the aftermarket industryhttp://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1851&location_id=2515 , the restrictor is mostly to control noise.

If that is the case, doubt it would affect the steering feel but might growl a bit more. I also had a hose made by a local hydraulic shop who was able to keep the restrictor.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 9:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Topic moved for better reference later.....mgmt.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 12:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Most local NAPA stores can make them up, I've also used hydraulic supply houses to make them. Last time I had a set done by NAPA the long pressure hose was about $75, the short pair (Bendix system) were about $35 each. They were near-perfect matches for OEM.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
alnow7176 wrote:......my 1955 Packard 400.......Al Nowak
G'day Al Nowak,
to PackardInfo, and I see you're already getting advice from the experienced and knowledgeable Packard people here.

And a request, could you please include your '55 Four Hundred in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/29 16:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information
I would like to thank everyone for their advice with the problem I was having with my power steering hoses, I did as everyone suggested and had the high pressure hoses made up, (with the restricter) and it worked out perfectly. Cost was $80.00. That was alot better than the price quoted from a local Packard parts supplier in my area which was $200.00. Again thanks from a die-hard 1955 400 Packard owner.

Al from Manville NJ

Posted on: 2010/10/10 6:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 side marker lights
Just popping in
Just popping in

Al Nowak
See User information

If anyone can tell me where I can get the plastic lens for the marker light behind the doors I would greatly appreciate it. went to the local packard parts dealer and he said nobody makes them anymore. The two I have now are all pieced together with epoxy.

Sincerely,

Al

Posted on: 2010/10/10 6:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 side marker lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanterhttp://www.kanter.com/packard/pac-556.html lists them in his online Packard catalog section.
30.61162 Courtesy light lens (exterior) 1955 clear, 1956 white opaque, each $49.50

The PAC national projects ad in latest (Sept 10) CNB lists CL-55 1955 Clear at $45 ea but they don't show on PAC online projects page. Might be worth an email to check availability. pacprojects@sbcglobal.net

Posted on: 2010/10/10 8:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved