Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

29 packard standard 8 water pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I while back I heard of someone rebuilding these water pumps with modern parts so they dont leak dose anyone know who this might be thanks for any help

Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 29 packard standard 8 water pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No need to change from the original packing just to have a non-leaking pump. Problem is most folks just arent't familiar with how the pack the gland, and/or use the wrong packing materials. You can buy either pre-cut split ring graphited cord pacdking, or buy continuous packing in a roll and just cut off what you need. Of course if the shaft is scored or otherwise damaged, neither the original or a modern seal will be effective.

Most of the nationally known water pump rebuilders will convert to a modern seal system if you want, but it's an unnecessary alternation.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I appreciate Owen Dyneto's comments however if your car has the front mounted pump it is particularly difficult to adjust and I have found the modern seals to be a worthwhile change.

I have done this on both of my 1929 Standard Eights and they no longer leak at all. I would be happy to post a drawing showing the modifications that include new sealed bearings however I have not been able to attach the drawing. If you let me have an e-mail address I will send you the details.

Both of my cars have the front mounted pumps, if yours has the side mounted pump it is probably not necessary with these pumps.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 18:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DavidM; I did also replace the two ball bearings with sealed bearings when I did my 34 (front mounted) pump about 35 years ago.

Obviously experiences vary. I did have a new tool-steel shaft made at the time I rebuilt mine, and in perhaps 35,000 miles since then I've never replaced the packing and perhaps only adjusted it twice.

Perhaps your drawing image files are too large?

PS - just thinking about it a bit more, perhaps one reason I find myself resistant to unnecessary changes from original is that the skills and techniques will eventually be lost to future generations. We already have a couple of generations of old car hobbyists who have no idea what ignition points are and their answer to ignition problems is to go electronic. I just like to see the preservation of original details and the skills and methods needed to maintain them.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...PS - just thinking about it a bit more, perhaps one reason I find myself resistant to unnecessary changes from original is that the skills and techniques will eventually be lost to future generations. We already have a couple of generations of old car hobbyists who have no idea what ignition points are and their answer to ignition problems is to go electronic. I just like to see the preservation of original details and the skills and methods needed to maintain them.

This is perhaps the clearest and most concise statement I have heard about why it is important not to make unnecessary changes to adapt modern parts to our Packards. Well said.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/17 21:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I agree entirely with O-D, HOWEVER, (and we are getting off topic here)are we kidding ourselves believing we are the custodians of these fine cars keeping them authentic for future generations to cherish? Isn't the reality that there will be far more cars than people wanting to own or display them let alone have the skills to maintain and drive them. Isn't it more likely that many will be abandoned due to lack of interest,storage, skill etc? Its not that there will be a demand from the developing countries like China etc. I don't see evidence of any interest and certainly no skill to maintain our old cars from the Asian communities in our country. Our cars mostly appeal only to an aging population.
Tell me I am wrong and that someone will want my cars when I am gone.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No crystal ball here.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe Wade has some info on the modern seals and bearings for the pump. The machine shops in Australia continue to amaze me with the fixes and substitutions they come up with when parts are non existent--and the fact they're willing to work on them at all.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

Following the loss of his past 2 machinists, the business in which one worked folded and the other guy suffered a stroke, Wade now uses the same machine Shop as DavidM and which David recommended to him. Using the machine shop is a different proposition compared to the guys who did it previously for Wade, they did it more on a hobby sort of basis.

Concerning the modern ceramic seals Wade has used in water pumps of recent time, they are common swimming pool pump seals, relatively inexpensive and readily available. And depending on the size of seal and pump a retaining collar may be required to be machined, the pump housing will require machining, the impeller shaft may require machining either because of wear or to suit the seal size used and sometimes additional machining may be required. Bearings are usually not a concern with replacements available. What Wade does is study the pump, formulate a plan, source the parts required, draw "engineering drawings" of the machining and sizes and talk to the machinists about the purpose and requirements for the job at hand.

Doubt it would be any different in the US. If you can find a good hobby machinist, great. If not, finding a commercial machine shop willing to do small, one off jobs is a lot harder. Probably a good place to start making enquiries about machine shops might be local Hot Rod shops who would use these services for their special requirements.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 7:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Thanks for the help my email is amadura@windstream.net I do not always get my emails so if there is no reply I may not have gotten it or I dont always get a chance to check Thanks Tom

Posted on: 2011/4/20 16:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved