Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

bkazmer, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Light weight valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Does anyone know the effect of light weight valves in a flat head motor? i'm considering stepping mine up with some 5/16 or 11/32 stem valves to save a little weight in conjunction with titanium retainers I just don't want to throw the money into it if it wouldn't help things out. I'm looking on one hand gravity will help them close and possibly help with valve float and on the other the lighter valve train will let the spring work more effectively. Any input would be great!

Posted on: 2012/1/20 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Light weight valves
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
My take on this, and your other posts, is that first lets go back and look at the basics of the engine you want to play with. It has a looong stroke so is not too conducive to running at higher RPM's. Because of the long stroke design, is the oil pump and system up to it if the RPM's are increased significantly? It was designed to run at lower RPM's than modern short stroke engines and generates it's torque and power accordingly. You're looking to re-grind the cam for more power, faster acceleration, higher RPM, etc. Breathing, whether by std or light weight valves, will be comprised by the size of the valves(overall head diameter) you can use. But, even after saying that, a good port and polish job will pick up a more than reasonable amount of "free" horsepower for you. Saying all that, my conclusion is that using lightweight valves and titanium components is probably not warranted. Why? Because by the time the RPM's of the engine reach a point where they'd be of benefit you've probably thrown a rod!

Posted on: 2012/1/20 15:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
That's very good information and it also crossed my mind that even with light pistons and a hotter cam and all the related equipment to attempt to increase the RPM potential with a super long stroke would i be able to turn more than 5500 RPMs and have it survive.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree with Mr O.

There are cheaper ways to make big noise. For one thing those old motor parts have endured decades of periodic vibration and stress. Remember the old addage that expensive jet aircraft should be able to fly forever given proper maintenance? Well that theory broke up in the sky along with the Dehavellin Comet.

The opposite side of the spectrum is the Honda 1600 DelSol - arguably the most advanced combustion chamber in the world. You can bolt on turbos and what not and the thing will blow itself up from hundreds of horsepower. But try to change the internals for more performance? Forget about it.

There is a reciprocating limit for motors and the maximum performance is usually achieved via slightly under square. The flathead Packard is very undersquare and so theortical rpms are limited.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Titanium valves and retainers would be the last, least cost-effective dollars one could ever spend on a Packard I8.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved