Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 246

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New to forum with a 1953 288 engine project
Just popping in
Just popping in

tractormike
See User information
First off I want to thank you guys for the info I was able to find here on my latest project, a 1953 288 engine and three speed manual tranny I found. I have been a mechanic all my life and have mainly worked on farm equipment and rebuilding tools and shop equipment.
I am always looking for new projects and came upon a Packard engine and tranny that has been sitting for a while. I am the third owner of the engine as it sits out of the car. I bought it in the condition you see in the pictures, stuck and some what taken apart. I have the cylinders soaking in marvel mystery oil right now and will wait and see the results.
What I have been able to find out so far from this site is that it is a 1953 288 engine. The number on the block is L214000. It has 5 plugs on the right side of the engine so I am assuming it's a 5 main bearing engine.
The head has Packard and Thunderbolt cast into it and just 288 with no other letters after it.
I also have the clutch, bell housing and a three speed manual tranny that came with it.
My plans are to get it broke loose and running for now. I might use it as the start of a rat rod project.
Here are some pictures of what I am starting with in the condition I found it in.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.79 KB)
72236_543293267e9b4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.75 KB)
72236_543293440ea63.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (63.85 KB)
72236_5432936cc28a0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.36 KB)
72236_5432937a08a4f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.73 KB)
72236_5432938b0db5f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.34 KB)
72236_5432939b7c3d5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.94 KB)
72236_543293b177981.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/10/6 8:06
 Top  Print   

Re: New to forum with a 1953 288 engine project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting project - I'll be interested to see where it goes. And all 288 engines were 5-main bearing engines, only the 327 came in both 5 and 9 main bearing versions.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
From the photo it looks like your transmission has an overdrive unit attached, a Borg Warner R-11 type.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/10/6 11:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A 288 is a terrific little engine and will work great in a hot rod---mine does!

It will respond very well to porting and relieving and a regrind of the cam. Avoid raising the compression much as they get way more fussy and harsh than they do powerful when you head in that direction.

The transmission is very desireable and was considered a "performance" option at the time. It will give you a very useful 5 speeds as you can conveniently run the overdrive ratio on either 2nd or 3d.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day tractormike,
to PackardInfo.

Normally I'd also invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry but something more substantial than just an engine and trans would be needed. However if you manage to find a Packard or Clipper to clothe your engine and trans with, could you please do so?

Posted on: 2014/10/6 16:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tractormike
See User information
Thanks guys for the welcome and additional info! I didn't know about the tranny overdrive. I was having so much fun looking over the engine I didn't even look at the tranny other than loading it up! I did get the crank to move a bit tonight. The crank turns smooth about a 1/4 turn now. I am thinking that I might have some surface rust in the cylinders below the pistons that sticks it. I am soaking it some more and will wait a while before I pull the pan off.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tractormike
See User information
Well after a winter break from the garage I started again on this project. After soaking the cylinders for a long time I did get it to break free and the crank to turn a little. Number 1 piston would only go up and down about 3/4 of an inch from top dead center and it would stick. I figured there may be some rust on the cylinder wall below the piston keeping it from moving. I tore it down and found just the slightest bit of surface rust on the cylinder but all the rings stuck on the piston. I removed all the pistons and most of the rings are stuck.
I took a ball hone to the cylinders and they look pretty good. There are a few very light scratches in the cylinders but not bad at all. I took the valves out and after getting the carbon wire wheeled off of them they all look good.
Today I talked to a guy who owns auto parts store who had heard this engine run 12 years ago and said it purred like a kitten and he always wondered where that old Packard engine ended up.
My plans now for the engine is to find a set of rings and a gasket set and put the old girl back together.
Do you guys have any recommendations as the best place to get these parts?
I can't wait to get it put back together and fire her up.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I always enjoy talking to and buying from the folks at Terrill Machine in DeLeon TX. They will have everything you need for that. Whilst you have it apart, check the exhaust valve guides and the timing chain. That's relatively small money for a big improvement.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 12:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved