Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 43 44 45 (46) 47 48 49 ... 73 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
OK! I managed to align the car today! It actually wasnt too far out of wack after I had eyeballed and string measured it. It was a little toe out before, but now it is back to toe in. After the first drive, it seems more stable above 50mph, which makes sense after the toe changed...

Posted on: 2017/4/23 6:32
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
HI, I think I have the same car as you. Are you able to time it without a timing light? A guy said to raise the piston in #1 spark plug all the way to the top because Packard timed the cars from that plug, even put in a wire to see that it is all far up as possible, look to see that the points are closing and tighten the distributor and replace the cap. He said it will get it going until I can get it timed properly with a timing light. What are you thoughts? The backyard mechanic who is working on it has no light so I'm looking for another way. What are your thoughts?

Posted on: 2017/4/23 8:42
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It unusual a mechanic doesn't have a timing light. You can buy an inexpensive one from harbor or sears.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 10:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Problem with timing lights is almost none are available that can be powered by 6v cars anymore -- inexpensive or otherwise. You either have to buy an inexpensive 12v and power it with another battery or else get one of the types operated by internal flashlight or rechargeable batteries. I tried the internal battery light first. It was not that inexpensive and the one I bought was not really bright enough to use in a well lit area. I wound up buying a decent 12v light and a small motorcycle type 12v battery to power it.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This is a self-powered (2 D-cells) timing light from proformparts.com. I think O'Reilly carries it. Wasn't cheap. Like $50, but life long tool.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.12 KB)
1067_58fcd7bcc7a8f.jpg 944X408 px

Posted on: 2017/4/23 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Problem with timing lights is almost none are available that can be powered by 6v cars anymore

Not really a problem, just power it from your trickle charger, I've been doing it that way for years.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
You certainly can get it running without a timing light, but you should have one to get it properly dialed in.
The method brenda described will get you close, but not "right" or perfect.
Took the family for our first ride in the packard. A good time was had by all!
Same goes for tuning a carburetor or aligning the front end.You can get it close if you have experience doing it by eye or smell or feel, newbies or people that dont do this everyday for a living should use the tools to measure things exactly.

Attach file:

jpg  (230.33 KB)
657_58fcf16aa9505.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/23 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I borrowed one today from a friend. Thanks for your information. I should have my own. It's on the list.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 0:21
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Took the family for our first ride in the packard. A good time was had by all!"

Mike,
Great to see all the family enjoying the Packard.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 0:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Here are the values from my front end alignment. It is within specs, and ok... the values aren't exactly perfect, but good enough. Even with the laser alignment system there is some tolerance in the measurements. Seems to drive ok. Next to dial in the carb and ignition better with timing light and vac gauge....Then I may try it with an exhaust sniffer to see how close the classic method is to a modern method.
Exhaust pipe aft of the muffler needs to be better placed, hope I can get it better aligned.
(still lots of little low priority things to do as well -glove box light, get wrinkles out of headliner in backseat, wire in radio and trunk light and courtesy lights.)

How many miles should I run on the first oil after break in?

Attach file:

jpg  (133.29 KB)
657_58fdb04ea7378.jpg 1445X813 px

Posted on: 2017/4/24 3:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 43 44 45 (46) 47 48 49 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved