Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 25 »

Re: Mal's '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Does he have any trouble with the hose wanting to melt on the end of the exhaust pipe?"

John,

Don't believe this is a factor, engine in the pusher car only runs for about 1/2 minute at a time. Rest periods in between, while the radiator is refilled or the "apparatus" re-positioned between the radiator and block/head cleaning processes, providing cool down time.

Posted on: 2018/6/1 15:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
So, is the car running any cooler now that you blew the gunk out? Hope that has helped.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 15:29
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mike,

Seemed to be running a bit cooler on the 160 km return trip. Not sure the temp gauge registers correctly because the car has been converted to 12V by the previous owner.

Going on a run today, a mere 195 kms each way, will see what that offers.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 16:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sunday 3rd June, 2018

"Going on a run today, a mere 195 kms each way, will see what that offers."

Not much. Because I went on the run but the Packard didn't!

Reason being, I'm an idiot. But learned a valuable lesson along the way even though a Packard was slightly wounded in the process.

Was performing some checks before departing. Checked the oil level and added same to bring it up to the mark. Checked radiator level, no top up required. Checked battery, all cells were low so added demineralised water. Then checked front shocks, left side took 15ml, right side required 20ml but not before the bonnet(hood) fell on my head then slid down the front of the Packard. For those who don't know 22/23rd Series have a catch each side of the bonnet(hood) allowing either side to be opened. Of course you're supposed to always have the opposite side locked to the one you're opening. But stupid me I shortcut the process by not closing and locking the left side after topping up the shock. Instead just lowered the left side down then unlocked the right side and propped it up. All was going well for about 10 seconds until I leant across the mudguard(fender) to access the shock. Obviously the delicate balance of the bonnet(hood) was upset by my leaning across the mudgard(fender). Next thing I knew was bonnet(hood) falling relatively gently onto my head(the bonnet prop must have provided a fulcrum of sorts which helped). Then it slid inexorably forward and slightly diagonally across the left front mudguard(fender). Result being some scrapes to the left front mudguard(fender) but no obvious signs of other damage. I'll review the bonnet(hood) and mudgard(fender) more closely tomorrow to determine the full extent of the damage.

Attach file:

jpg  (299.03 KB)
226_5b13c8ca68df8.jpg 1920X1630 px

jpg  (270.08 KB)
226_5b13c8d889aaf.jpg 1920X1571 px

jpg  (203.60 KB)
226_5b13c8e726fcc.jpg 1920X1457 px

jpg  (100.19 KB)
226_5b13c8f5142b2.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (80.50 KB)
226_5b13c903a07c0.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/6/3 5:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
So glad you were not seriously hurt but that was really a bad start to the day for sure. I almost did the same on the 47 but was able to catch it just in time and cannot believe that we are the only ones who have managed to do it. Expect it was probably a more than common happening back in the day because it is somewhat inconvenient and easy to forget to walk around and release/tighten the dual hood latches.

Have wondered why Packard didn't put that extra spring safety catch that needs to push inward more in the middle and in some kind of receiver on the hood side so that it had to move sideways to clear a slot or something. If there was more of a capture with the spring latch it would keep the down side from coming off the pegs. Wonder if it was an issue with other mfgs that used the clamshell hood.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 8:38
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
WOW! Thanks for the heads up. I know darn well I've inadvertently had both sides unlocked when working under the hood. I really didn't think that could happen. I'll be more careful now. Glad you weren't really hurt.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, glad to hear your okay. I think I had asked this question once before, but to clear this up for me. you should lock down the opposite side before opening the other side?
Wes

Posted on: 2018/6/3 18:15

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, absolutely. Unless you want to suffer the same mishap as Mal or want to intentionally remove the hood, you must lock the side opposite of the side you wish to open.

Posted on: 2018/6/3 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening all...I believe that Mal has a better than average Guardian Angel who was paying close attention to Mal's bonnet or hood! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2018/6/3 22:15
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 4th June, 2018

"I'll review the hood and fender more closely tomorrow to determine the full extent of the damage."

Actually all I did was walk around it today. Can't see much in the way of further damage except for a couple of spots on the top of the right side of the hood, but they might or might not have already been there. They appear to be dents from the underside, will know more on Thursday. Why Thursday? Because my son-in-law is coming over to give me a hand to lift the hood back on board the Packard. In the meantime it will sit where it is because if I try to move it myself it might sustain further damage.

Oh, and after seeing the orthopaedic surgeon this morning, who gave me a good report on the wrist(but it could be 6-12months before full movement returns), posted off the comfort parcel of '48 pedals and bits to Norway. The seamail option was taken, so in 30+ days John(joborg2) should receive his RHD parts.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 25 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved