Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, I run 15w40 diesel oil in my 327. Helps with the blow-by on my non-rebuilt 327. I know others run the same in their inline motors.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 11:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wix and NAPA filters come from the same source, they just differ in branding and packaging.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank,

Have not used Mobil 1 gear oil. Just make sure it is for extreme pressure application.

No oil filter on my 115C. I use a 15W-40 rated engine oil.

About Inst and Map lights - 3-position switch on bottom center of panel. Inst lights, Off, Map light.

Also, there should be two oil cups on your WP. The grease fitting does not sound correct. The back oiler is easy to see and the front one is accessed through a hole in the front of the fan pulley. Rotate the pulley until the hole is on top and you should see the oiler, or where it should be.

Hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/24 12:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for the great input everyone.

the filter in my canister doesn't have much room around it to pull it out. it had a handle. it was pretty big. I remember it saying NAPA on top, but didn't look for a part number. I was too busy trying not to spill oil. it had a handle on top and felt like pulling against suction when lifting it.

I have the Lucas oil additive stuff to put in, so we will see if that helps with blow by. thanks for the suggestion on the diesel oil.

JW. since yours is a convertible...there is no overhead light correct? so in that case it makes me think they did indeed wire the map light to the wrong side of my switch as right now it turns on with the dash gauge lights.

as to the water pump. it is a grease-sert and not a flip top oiler on mine. so maybe someone changed something out. you will see in Kerrville.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 13:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
pulled the filter tonight and it looks like the oil filter is a 1006. or fram c4http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL1006

drained the trans oil.....what oil....barely anything came out.

draining the motor oil now. and will move to the diff afterwards.

Should I refill the diff and the trans until right when it begins to come out of the fill hole? Like most modern cars?

Posted on: 2016/3/24 20:48
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/24 21:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Regarding "Diesel oil" as long as it is passenger car/truck Diesel oil, it is ok. You don't want to use Diesel oil for long distance semis. The semi truck oil is designed for usage over much longer distances and you don't want it in your classic car.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 1:34
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
last nights adventures were just fun!

you guys should have seen me trying to get that gear oil into the transmission. the bottle is way to big to tilt in. I had to get a long piece of hose I had laying around and feed it to the fill tube and then squeeze the living crap out of the bottle to get the fluid in. I'm sure they make some special tool to get oil into tight places, but it was 10pm. I got it all in. took 1 quart. I found it interested they said 2 pints in the service manual vs today they would have just said 1 quart.

the rear end isn't as hard, but with the fill hole being almost horizontal it is hard to get the last of the oil in because I couldn't tilt the bottle high enough. had to get a hose and a funnel and pour the oil in the funnel and let it take eons to drain in. I still have more to put in it too.

I changed the oil and filter. I did not have my filter bolt wrench on that side of the car and I told myself to not forget to tighten it......guess what happened....I forgot. started the car....oil running all out of the filter canister and everywhere. I was happy.

oreilly's had the oil filter in stock amazingly. wix version though. here is a pic of the old one.

I noticed the driver's side tail light wasn't working. see photo of wiring and you will see why. I will fix that today. whoever did the wiring on this car should be whipped hard.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.03 KB)
491_56f57d030cd15.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (129.64 KB)
491_56f57d09bdaed.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/3/25 13:02
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Little late now but HF sells an inexpensive hand operated transfer pump that works just fine for adding oil to trans, OD and rear ends.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The wiring that folks do is just stunning. I have in a twelve just the moment that has has some jaw dropping improvements to the wiring. How about an electric fuel pump that runs whenever the battery is connected! Death wish?

Posted on: 2016/3/25 13:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved