Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

Leeedy, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Is 12-volt conversion really necessary?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
What is the advantage of converting to 12-volt, if it voids the function of the clock, radio, fog lights, fuel gauge, etc?

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/7 18:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Is 12-volt conversion really necessary?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Many 6-volt vehicles have been converted to 12-volts in the belief that it will fix their starting problems. Some have tried 8-volt batteries as a fix. These efforts are temporary fixes for a sub-par system. A well maintained 6-volt system with a good battery, generator and starter, and with proper size cables and good grounds is more than up to the task of providing all the electricity our Packards need. Some have fitted 6-volt alternators and these units do provide better charging, especially at low engine speeds. Others may come by and offer more on this subject.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/7/7 18:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
What you said validates what I've read/heard that if properly maintained, 6-volt system is adequate to consistently crank a Packard.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, The main reason people convert is to add AC or run a lot of modern accessories.

It is a given the old 6v systems are usually limited as far as being able to supply very much additional output for extra items. They just didn't have many extra items to add then. Today, if you want AC, unless you find an old AC unit or make or convert a system, 6v AC is non existent and you need to have 12v. A lot of people also want modern stereos and cell phone chargers and don't want to deal with any extra converters for those items.

As far as operation of the car, as long as there is proper maintenance of the electrics, there is no real advantage over 6v and if you are going to show the car it's a definite disadvantage. 12v is a bit more forgiving of poor maintenance because having good clean tight connections and the proper size wire is a must on 6v.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I rather thought that it was the additional modern accessories that necessitated a 12-volt system. It never occurred to me to put an AC in a pre-WWII Packard.

As an aside, my first vehicle didn't even come with an AC and I drove it for 10 years living in Louisiana. So, not having an AC isn't an issue.

kind regards
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2014/7/7 19:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
but it occurred to Packard to put AC in a pre-war Packard!

Posted on: 2014/7/7 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Was kibitzing with a friend the other day: if a modern vehicle begins to crank poorly or won't start at temperature extremes, you wisely go and have a new starter put in or the old one rebuilt. No one bumps the system up to 24 volts to cure the worn starter--and puts in voltage droppers for everything else. But let a 6 volt system give problems for lack of maintenance and somehow the obvious cure is to double the voltage.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 20:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

slarsen47
See User information
I have converted my 1937 115C to negative ground.

This is very easy to do and makes adding a 6v switched assist fuel pump easy because the case and lines end up being grounded to negative.

Leaves gages lights etc like original.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Your 'Bat' gauge doesn't show in reverse, discharge while charging?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day slarsen47,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '37 115C in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 16:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved