Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 118 119 120 (121) 122 123 124 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 9th August 2012

What happened today? Not much! Rang Noel who told me he has the sparkplug lead holder as well as some heater fittings for the water pump and will bring them over tomorrow morning and is anticipating a 356 start up! Arriving at the workshop gave Misty a bone, that was well received. Then off to Hare and Forbes for a new pair of blasting cabinet gauntlets. On the return trip called into Grippy Rubber for a couple of metres of 1" x 1/4" adhesive backed neoprene strip for a new seal for the cabinet door. On return, removing the old seal and installing the new neoprene was my job. After removing the old seal and cleaning the cabinet surfaces I'm just about to start applying the new seal when Wade said to be careful, there was only about 2" extra to play with. He certainly knows how to apply pressure, but all worked out with about 8" left over, thanks Wade.

While I was doing that Wade was getting air hoses and fittings organised for the new blasting cabinet. The gun from the old cabinet was being used as it has an assortment of easily changed nozzles whereas the new one doesn't. The viewing window from the top of the cabinet was also removed because Barry had also supplied a new glass. Unfortunately neither the new glass or the old blasted/pitted glass actually fitted the cabinet window frame. Only missed out by a smidgen but enough to have the cabinet window frame at a lopsided angle, it just didn't look right. So I hotfooted it up to Excell Glass where Neil cut about 3/8" off one end of each piece. They now fit easily and flat on the cabinet top, used the new glass keeping the pitted glass as a spare. Hoses and fittings sorted and gun installed it was time to move the new cabinet into place. Graham and Rolf did that under my direction, hernia recovery with lifting restrictions has some benefits!

At this juncture I inquired of a couple of guys, who had been standing in the workshop entrance for about 5 minutes, if they wanted to see someone. They did, Wade! Because they'd been silhouetted against the glare from the entrance I didn't recognise either one of them and thought they were waiting to see John or Rick. But on approaching them realised I knew one of the guys, Wheels from Murwillumbah a former PACA member and '39 Convertible owner who I'd visited on two occasions! "The sun was in my eyes" is as good an excuse I can come up with and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! John, aka Wheels, together with his mate Ken were down in Sydney to pick up a '24 Chev Sedan, an older restoration, which Wheels had imported from the US. They'd called into the workshop to see The Fossil, catch up and to see what else Wade might be working on at present. Wheels has a large collection of vehicles and with the acquisition of the Chev, which is a police car, now has what could be called a set of special interest vehicles. He already has a fire engine and Ken has just finished rebuilding for him the body for a '27 Hudson hearse. Anyway Wheels and Ken saw The Fossil, Noel's '41 160 rolling chassis, Big Red and the '33 Super Eight under the car cover outside. Wheels, as well as Wade, remembers this car from before it's sad decline over the last 6 years.

Once Wheels and Ken resumed their journey it was back to the blasting cabinet. Filled it with the "sand" Barry had emptied from it to bring it to Sydney. Wade procured a rusty Packard part and I was ushered to the operators position. Well, there was plenty of air but no "sand". Checked the fittings, slight airleak tightened up and tried again but still no joy. Head scratching, checked the pickup tube was clear using a straightened wire coathanger, tried again still nothing. What about priming the pickup? Undid the fitting on the bottom of the gun and using a small funnel filled the tube with "sand" but still no go. Although this time it did work initially but only until the priming "sand" was exhausted. Could it be the "sand"? So emptied Barry's "sand" and replaced it with the used glass beads from the old blasting cabinet, still nothing. Primed the pickup again, same result, false dawn. What about the gun? Changed it back to Barry's gun but again no sandstorm! Had also played with the air pressure available to the cabinet starting from 80psi, down to 40psi and up to 100psi without any success. Maybe the only remaining part to check is the metal pickup tube which extends to the bottom of the media hopper? Wade tells me its welded in place, I hadn't looked beforehand, and it appeared OK from his inspection.
The real question is.....Barry, have you sold Wade a lemon?

Started the post by saying not much happened today, but somehow I've again managed to churn out more than my quota of words! Things were happening it's just that not much came to fruition. Really an exasperating day where the expectations were much greater than the reality.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.25 KB)
226_50237fb4b6ac6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.63 KB)
226_50237fc559d37.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.75 KB)
226_50237fd460d01.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.50 KB)
226_50237fed34df0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.50 KB)
226_502380026d7a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.45 KB)
226_5023801c7d5ce.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.87 KB)
226_5023804417380.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.90 KB)
226_5023805c15043.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.28 KB)
226_50238072eb5c2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.70 KB)
226_5023808ed143c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/8/9 4:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 10th August 2012

Only an hour or so at the workshop, hoping the 356 would be fired up before I left. Had to attend #2 Granddaughters Pre-School Olympics! Nothing like about forty 3/4/5 year olds traversing/rambling/wandering around an obstacle course at the end of which they all received a gold medal! Citius, Altius, Fortius was never like this.

At the workshop there was also some traversing/rambling/wandering around an obstacle course but at the end of which there was NO gold medal! But first, on arrival, found the new blasting cabinet was now fully operational. After I left yesterday Wade had utilised the pickup tube from the old cabinet and problem solved. But the focus this morning was getting the 356 ready for start up. Partly filled a 20 litre container, because of hernia surgery recovery weight limits, and connected a new rubber fuel line to the rebuilt fuel pump. Turned the engine over to get oil circulating and fuel pumping. One part of that was successful, oil pressure registering on the gauge, fuel wasn't a pumping though. Number of attempts but carb remained dry. Rubber hose off and, no suction! Pump off, looked like the arm and diaphragm shaft weren't connected. Disassembled pump, reconnected the arm and diaphragm, reassembled and bench tested it. Works well with suction and the usual array of armpit noises fuel pumps emit on those tests. Reinstalled the pump but with the same result, no pumping! At this point the lure of the Olympics was too great and I made my farewells. A follow up phone call much later revealed that it's the wrong pump. Requires a dual action pump with vacuum for wiper operation. Pump at hand is single action, like the one on my 120 which has electric wipers!

After returning from a hard day in the stands urging on the Olympians found an email from the Flackmaster. See the pic below and the accompanying caption for a story of something close to my heart.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.55 KB)
226_5024e81a67f58.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.91 KB)
226_5024e832444f0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.09 KB)
226_5024e8497bf4e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.62 KB)
226_5024e85bc7944.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (58.40 KB)
226_5024e8721e5e7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/8/10 5:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 13th August 2012

Wade was doing some housekeeping when I arrived during which he had discovered a lower radiator tube to fit Noel's 356! It was attached to a radiator I think Harvey had "donated". Anyway after a session on the wire wheel to knock off the dirt and crust a session in the new blasting cabinet gave it a nicely finished look. And why was Wade housekeeping? 1) To better organise the available space, 2) To remove the grill shell and shutters from Big Red's radiator. The radiator is going to be cleaned and tested so when the engine returns from Tamworth it can all go back together. 3) To free up the stand the 320 crankcase is sitting in. The stand is going to Tamworth to hold Big Red's engine when it's ready for the trip home.

The engine crane was used to elevate Big Red's radiator and grill unit which was then separated into it's major component parts. A b#gger of a job with lots of bolts and screws holding shell to radiator frame. Then a fight to prise the grill shell off the radiator frame, it needs to come forward at the bottom then swing up so the top of the grill shell clears the neck of the radiator. During this there were 3 interruptions. 1) Arrival by UPS of a head gasket and manifold gaskets from Olson's Gaskets for Big Red. 2) Arrival of Noel bearing a '41 steering box and column, 2 double action fuel pumps and a spark plug wire loom. 3) Big Bad Barry bearing a '61 Ford Falcon radio for Wade to weave his magic on. Barry and wife Pam, besides having a couple of Packards also have a couple of Fords including the very original Falcon.

Visitors attended to, returned to the housekeeping with the 320 crankcase next. Engine crane lifted the crankcase up undid retaining bolts holding it to the Snapey built engine stand and dropped that down. Next removed the front engine mount and timing case. Then maneuvered the crane and crankcase and dropped the crankcase onto a pair of plastic milk crates. Milk vendors countrywide didn't realise what a boon these plastic crates were when they were introduced 30 odd years ago. Forget milk, they are perfect for storing parts and are stackable! Cleaned up the timing case and engine mount and these were parked with the 320 engine stand ready for a trip to Tamworth.

Turned then to the fuelpumps. One had an arm length of about 40mm from the flat of flange to the centre of the pump arm, while the others distance was 50mm. The ineffectual pump, that was being used, also has a distance of 50mm. Trial fits later the 50mm arm pump was plumped for but a trial pump test revealed little to no suction. Fortunately Noel had also provided a rebuild kit from Max for a double action pump so tear down commenced. As Wade removed components I cleaned them in the parts washer followed by a brake cleaner rinse and wire wheeling of specific components if required. Wade also commenced reassembling the pump. Reassembly will be completed tomorrow and the pump mounted on the 356 and tested. Although a bench test during assembly, hard to do with 2 bl**dy big springs to work against, looks positive.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.21 KB)
226_5028cb11c0c23.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.06 KB)
226_5028cb52ea2ed.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.85 KB)
226_5028cb6c29cda.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.46 KB)
226_5028cb78e0cb1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.01 KB)
226_5028cb903620b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.68 KB)
226_5028cba051635.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.03 KB)
226_5028cbb235fa7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.43 KB)
226_5028cbe71f16f.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (25.09 KB)
226_5028cbf2978ba.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.77 KB)
226_5028cc005258a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.79 KB)
226_5028cc1f9c24a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.16 KB)
226_5028cc464dabe.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (21.84 KB)
226_5028cc55adc73.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 4:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, a couple of comments on the photo titled: "Just about ready to roar into life". Looks like that is a V-8 crankcase oil breather/filler cap; and, the fan blast tube that directs air into the breather cap (for enhanced crankcase ventilation) is missing. Just picking a couple of nits. Thanks for keeping us posted on all the activity at Wade's. Your blog is one of the things that makes this site so special.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/13 11:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JW wrote:Mal, a couple of comments...Looks like that is a V-8 crankcase oil breather/filler cap; and, the fan blast tube that directs air into the breather cap (for enhanced crankcase ventilation) is missing. Just picking a couple of nits. Thanks for keeping us posted on all the activity at Wade's. Your blog is one of the things that makes this site so special.
John,
Keep picking those nits! Noel is very much a stickler for correctness and I imagine, after he reads your comments, an earnest search will begin to locate and install the parts mentioned! However before we send Noel off, what are we looking for? I've included another pic of the filler cap to make sure it is NOT the correct item. Reason I'm doing so is that Big Red has the same filler cap so is it possible that they came on pre-war 356's also? Regarding the fan blast tube, the 356 was assembled from the parts supplied, and never having seen one would like to know what it looks like?

I enjoy writing the Blog which I try to make entertaining. That doesn't mean embellish the stories, just present them as best I can. Sometimes with a human element which isn't always present in the more nuts and bolts orientated threads. I didn't know I had any writing skills when I bought my first Packard a bit over 5 years ago and it's grown from there. I also write articles for PACA's magazine "The Packardian" and, of course, the ego feeds off this as well. It's a wonder my head hasn't exploded as it's swelled in size these last few years.!

Attach file:

jpg  (22.23 KB)
226_50296d90056d5.jpg 571X465 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 16:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Mal,
I think what you have is the filler tube for a late-1940 or later, and the cap from a 39-early 40. The short filler tube, which I have on my car, doesn't provide as much ventilation as the longer one. And the cap was changed, too, to provide more ventilation in late 1940 or maybe later on 356s. Then the fan tube was added to blow more air that way.

I'm keeping my short tube and filler cap because it is correct for my early 40. But I have the longer one and updated cap as well.

I think the filler tube should be green, btw.

And your blog is the greatest. Restorers here have not learned that sharing their challenges and techniques actually builds great credibility and appreciation of their skills. It takes time to keep a blog, take pix, and share. But one result is tremendous goodwill toward your shop, and confidence in the value of the work you do there. What you're doing is entertaining all right, but also educational.

My Duchess blog is all about one car's misfortune to have ended up in the hands of a clueless mechanic. But one car doesn't have the variety of problems, though it may seem that way sometimes, that Wade tackles there. The pictures and explanations are well done. Both Packard clubs stopped restoration assistance in their publications long ago. That fact makes packardinfo.com even more valuable, much thanks to you and the usual suspects.
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (23.02 KB)
1067_5029784d98b29.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (34.29 KB)
1067_50297865df415.jpg 500X666 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 16:58

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mal, in addition to Joe's post, here are a few shots showing the cap and tube as revised in 1941. A taller fill tube came first in trying to correct the problem of oil filter blocking air or creating turbulence and hindering air flow into the original cap and crankcase. Made another small change and then revised things again.

Finally settled on the tall tube and cap with large slot for air vent facing front to catch air blowing from fan. The horizontal air tube was added for 356's only and used on all those engines from the revision on.

The items were suggested to be retrofitted on the earlier engines as a help in preventing sticking valves.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.86 KB)
209_50297d4a74d8e.jpg 698X534 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 17:18
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...The horizontal air tube was added for 356's only and used on all those engines from the revision on...

Actually, the horizontal air tube was dropped for the 22nd/23rd series 356's. Not sure about the post-war Clippers.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 19:13

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely used on the 47 and I'm also wondering about how long it stayed on later cars. I'll agree it was dropped sometime in that period so the phrase used from the revision on is in error. Believe I also remember a postwar bulletin with some of the same sticking valve issues. Perhaps dealers installed it again if they thought it would help. There is a photo on page 137 of the new 48-50 Packard book showing one installed on a 22nd series.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 19:40
Howard

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

tabletennissport
See User information
For what it's worth, the filler tube and cap were the ones on the car when I bought it. The engine was built in August, 1940 and this is the very first 160 they produced (#2001). Could it be that they used "left over" parts from 1940 models?

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:46

« 1 ... 118 119 120 (121) 122 123 124 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved