Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Shahrukh Mateen,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '36 120B Convertible Sedan in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 19:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The first carb is done. The rebuild kit covers a lot of different models, so there are excess gaskets that make things interesting to figure out.

Attach file:

jpg  20230717_201548.jpg (319.53 KB)
1_64b6d7d3beadc.jpg 1599X1465 px

jpg  20230718_131446.jpg (273.63 KB)
1_64b6d7db218e6.jpg 1600X1526 px

Posted on: 2023/7/18 13:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks nice and we will keep our fingers crossed but what will be interesting is your road report when everything is back together and hopefully running.

Tsherry's experience with his SU carbs is not the first like it I have heard. A friend who also owned a Packard had an 80s Jag which was a beautiful car both ride and style wise -- and when it was not in the shop for one reason or another, was really quite nice to be in. Like Morse's old Jag in the British detective series frequently being in the shop, his more modern version also seemed to have a knack for winding up there too.

For whatever reason, maybe deserved or maybe not, with SU carbs, Lucas electrics, and another British made component which escapes me at the moment that also seemed to have a less than reliable reputation, I cannot but wonder if the British car mfgs had a bit of a masochistic streak back then to keep using the same components year after year.

If all else fails maybe you can find some Webers to keep in reserve and if you have any Lucas items, a few Bosch electrics would probably keep the engine going.

Posted on: 2023/7/18 13:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 2nd carb has a broken casting bung on the bottom of the float chamber. So project on hold until I source a replacement.

Attach file:

jpg  20230718_182432.jpg (185.13 KB)
1_64b88b27af14a.jpg 864X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/7/19 20:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
So frustrating! Is there anyway you can machine the feature out of brass maybe, or grow it in your FDM machine from nylon to duplicate the feature and fasten it into the pot? I doubt that there are a lot of those castings about.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 7:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That area fills with fuel. So just going to replace it as I think any backyard fixes is just going to be a recipe for a fuel leak.

That area has a banjo bolt connection and also act as a seat for the jet seat spring.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 7:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One of the guys on the Jag forums had a spare replacement, $39 (shipping incl) from Canada. But better than $300 for a new one from the UK or $450 from a US vintage Jag parts vendor.

Posted on: 2023/7/20 8:21
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Supposedly the replacement carb part is out for delivery. So once that arrives, I can finish up getting the carbs rebuilt.

In the meantime, I got all the trunk and rumble seat handle lock cylinders re-coded to match my glovebox key.

A locksmith was able to get the cylinders out, and then I filled down the tumblers on the cylinders to fit my key.

The locking door handle I had for the passenger side was another matter. The locksmith was able to pick the lock and get it to unlock, and we could push in the detent to release the cylinder, but the cylinder wouldn't come out. So it had to drilled out. The problem was that the cylinder receiver casting was mangled/deformed making removal of the old cylinder by normal means impossible. The deformation was so much so that even a good cylinder would not fit back in the body, so another handle had to be sourced. Waiting for that to arrive.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 11:01
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the auxiliary starting carburetor used on the SU HD6 Thermo Carb setup on the Jag motor. Its what it uses instead of a choke. Instead of choking of the air to richen the mixture during cold staring, they use this to add more fuel when cold. It sits between the two main carbs and is controlled by a solenoid that is controlled by engine temp. This mini carb injects a richer mixture directly into the intake manifold.

What I find interesting is the casting portion reminds me (generally) of the Fuelizer casting used by Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230726_084140_Gallery.jpg (98.01 KB)
1_64c1244c9859e.jpg 636X1239 px

Posted on: 2023/7/26 8:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, what do the Jaguar folks have to say about eliminating the auxiliary starting carburetor? May not be necessary for the limited amount of driving you will be doing, especially since the car will be kept in a garage out of the cold weather.

Posted on: 2023/7/26 12:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved