Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trailer Tie Down for a 1940 Packard Convertible Coupe
Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
I recently purchased a 1940 Packard series 120, convertible coupe. The carrier I have hired has not come through with pickup and delivery so I have decided to go after the car myself. In anticipation of traveling to shows etc, I have bought a Sundowner aluminum 20 foot trailer to haul my car. While I have lots of utility trailer experience I have never pulled a car hauler or tied down a car so I have no clue and hope someone can help. The trailer is rated for 7000# and weights only 1400#. There are four tie down points rated at 6000# each. I'm concerned about frame or above suspension tie down and what to use. Axle straps? Ratchet straps? Load binders and chains? Or a combination of all? Should I tie front to back, back to front,or directly to the tie down points? This will be a 1,000 mile tow. Is there any problem with putting pressure on the wheel bearings for this length of tow? Thanks to all for any info you can provide.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 6:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Trailer Tie Down for a 1940 Packard Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The trailer I am most familiar with had floor rails on each side for ratchet straps. They went over the rear axle and over the lower control arms.

The big modern car haulers are using tie downs that go over the wheels. That system is easier than ratchet straps except that white side wall tires are vulnerable to scuffing without tire protection.

So if the trailer you have is not set up with attachments for hauling cars you will need to go to a trailer place select a system to be added to the trailer.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 7:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Everything you need to know is located at the link here:
https://www.hagerty.com/assets/PDF/TraileringPamphlet.pdf

Read it twice to make sure you are up to doing this. Trailering is VERY serious business.

Use axle straps. Use nylon ratchet straps. While the article says that some people cross the ratchet straps to reduce the chance the car will ""walk" sideways I use the most direct path to the D ring.

I have tried it both ways and have never had my 1941 convertible sedan or 1941 business coupe "walk." However, my D rings are located somewhat on an angle and not directly in front of the axle strap attachment point. This may also help using the direct path method and not have any walking.

Again, this is serious business and no place to take shortcuts.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 7:53
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Amen to Roger's cautions about trailering. I've used professional carriers on quite a few occasions and they NEVER cross the straps - their argument against it is what would happen if one strap should fail - that end of the car then has a large degree of freedom of laterial movement in one direction which wouldn't happen if one strap broke and they weren't crossed.

Also a very important consideration for T/L-equipped cars. Do NOT tighten the straps to load the suspension without first disabling (disconnecting) the system - otherwise the TL system could activate and try to raise the car against the force of the retaining straps - there is at least one horror story about what can happen!

Posted on: 2015/8/9 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I drive around with a lot of trailers in my line of work, and a lot of it comes down to common sense. I crossed my straps all the time till O_D mentioned the above scenario, ever since I changed my strategy (common sense?).
If you don't know what the last time was that your bearings were repacked, make sure you do that before you leave. I always have a 4 ton floor jack in the back of the pickup and a 4-nut lug wrench in case the trailer has a blowout. If your trailer has spring axles takes a come along with you so when a hub goes out you take the wheel off and Jack the axle up (so the hub is off the road) and ease your way to a repair shop on 3 (trailer) wheels. If the axles are straight axles, just take the wheel off and proceed to nearest shop.

Personally I prefer a gooseneck trailer (but you need a 3 qtr ton or larger pickup) over a bumper pull. The gooseneck trailer pulls much straigther, no fish tailing, the weight is better distributed, and it's easier to backup.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 10:05
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day hughdean,
to PackardInfo.

After you get your '40 120 Convertible Coupe home , or maybe even before you do so, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/8/9 16:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
hughdean,
for including your '40 One-Twenty Convertible Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/9/28 21:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved