Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

wiper motor
Just popping in
Just popping in

RBO
See User information
I have a 1940 Packard with vacuum operated wipers. What is the best source for a electric replacement. Still using 6 v.
RBO

Posted on: 2018/6/22 9:51
 Top  Print   

Re: wiper motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
About the only modern option for a drop in electric is Newport Engineering's kithttps://newportwipers.com/product-category/cars/packard/ but the motor is 12v. To use their setup on 6v will require an additional power inverter which is offered separately in their accessories section.https://newportwipers.com/product/6-to-12-volt-power-inverter/

Have you considered sending your vacuum motor to Ficken Wiper Servicehttps://rebuildingtricowipers.com and having it rebuilt. Many have done that instead and it will cost considerably less than the electric conversion. A rebuilt vacuum motor will work as new providing the rest of the vacuum & plumbing setup is in good condition.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The OEM vacuum wiper system is fully capable of excellent performance and gives up very little or nothing to electric. Have the motor rebuilt if necessary (about $99) and make sure you booster pump is functioning and your engine is providing proper manifold vacuum.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I had both vacuum motors for my 51 and 53 rebuilt by Ficken, both motors keep the windshield clear, don't slow upon acceleration and respond to the wiper speed vacuum control. Money well spent for Vancouver, WA., wet, wet, winters.

Posted on: 2018/6/22 12:36
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RBO
See User information
Thanks
RBO

Posted on: 2018/6/22 15:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
Use the complete electric assembly from a 1940 Packard 110/120. It is a bolt in.......D

Posted on: 2018/6/23 1:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day RBO,
to PackardInfo and I invite you to include your '40 110 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/6/23 4:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the 110/120 electric wiper setup is a direct fit in the senior models that came with vacuum, am curious if anyone has seen an official Packard reason or has a good theory on why they chose to double engineer and carry stock to have both systems. Also, why choose vacuum on the senior models and electric on the juniors when it would seem the electric would be the more bell and whistle item and the charge more $ choice they would have on the seniors.

Posted on: 2018/6/23 8:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Even as far back as the late 1920s when Packard offered the McConnell electric wiper system, it was not a popular choice - vacuum wipers with their wide range of speed adjustment were considered the premium arrangement.

Attach file:

jpg  (279.01 KB)
177_5b2e59ce54fb3.jpg 1273X1664 px

Posted on: 2018/6/23 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The whole electric/vacuum thing over the years has been a conversation item for sure. I can see where an early electric system might not have much flexibility and maybe not be as refined as the vacuum so not being popular may be good argument for favoring vacuum in those years.

By 40 the two speed electrics would seem to be reliable and a less crude item so maybe not as much a popularity issue by then. When the Clipper was introduced with only electrics that would seem to confirm it was a viable and proven option. Good enough to go on senior models thru 47 and yet when the 48s came along they again went back to vacuum.

I wonder what a manufacturers cost difference was between the two systems. Maybe that is more the reason vacuum was being touted as the better choice.

Posted on: 2018/6/23 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved