Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

six cylinder rod bolt torque
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mendocino38
See User information
Hi everyone,

I'm having my machinist re-size the con-rods for the new bearing sizes on my six cylinder. He called questioning the torque specs. on the bolts. My book (and his) says 55-60 lbs. It's his opinion that is too much for a 3/8 bolt. He said that the metallurgy in those days wasn't up to the standards of today and that 55-60 lbs. is for 7/16 bolts.

Seems to me that the book wouldn't give out the wrong specs.
Any ideas or suggestions?

-Erik

Posted on: 2013/6/27 13:19
 Top  Print   

Re: six cylinder rod bolt torque
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like there may be two different sizes used for connecting rods. Don't know if any help on your engine but the 47 and the V8's have a 3/8-24 size listed for the connecting rod. Torque on those is 45-46 on the 47's and 40-45 on V8's. The 47 and the 51-4 specs also mention a 7/16-28 size used for connecting rods. Spec on that is 60-65.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 14:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
In Motors Manual, pic below, 6 cylinders for '37-'39 listed as 55-60 and '40-'42,46 & 47 and later as 45-46.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.60 KB)
226_51ccae288c04a.jpg 500X512 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If I recall correctly there is a torque specification chart in the service manuals. The chart specifies the torque rating for bolt sizes and thread types. Might be worth checking the chart to verify. Motors Manual and other publishers repeat specs given to them by the various makers.

Packard made a mistake in describing the bore size of the 320 cu. in. V-8s in various manuals. They said it was 3 3/16". This is incorrect, it is 3 13/16". Coincidentally, the 3 3/16" bore size is that of the pre-war 320 cu. in. straight-8s.

Good catch by your machinist.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mendocino38
See User information
So it seems...I've done a little research and it looks like the torque specs. for the six cylinder (245 cu) is for 7/16 in. bolts. My rods have 3/8 in. I know that in 1938 the rod bearings were increased size...perhaps the bolts were too??

This machinist is new to me, but seems to be paying attention. I think I'm in good hands.

-E

Posted on: 2013/6/27 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Metallurgy today is more developed, but the metal in those bolts is very high quality.

A machinist should be checking the yield (aka bolt stretch) if he is concerned about those bolts. I've never heard of them being failure prone.

Just because they didn't have cell phones and the Junknet at Packard doesn't mean they were inferior. In fact cell phones and the junknet are one of the reasons the world is getting stupider and stupider.

I hear they are even trying make grammar school paperless and getting rid of blackboards.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 5:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved