Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Locked rear differential
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
My 1956 Patrician (with torsion level suspension) has a new problem. It seems that my rear differential has locked up. If I raise the car in the air, and set the gear into neutral, when I spin one rear wheel in any direction, the other rear wheel spins with it, as well as the drive shaft. If I drive straight, there doesn’t seem to be a problem, but if I turn, I hear a loud bang (since the left and right wheel can’t spin independently). I changed the rear diff fluid last year, and it still looks clear and at the right level. I am also getting excessive backlash when shifting into reverse or drive. It seems that I need to take apart my rear differential in order to see what is wrong.
In order to inspect what is going on, do I need to remove the complete rear axle as described in the “Rear Axle Removal” section of Sect15_RearAxle.pdf, or is it “possible” to inspect and possibly remove the assembly while the axle and differential carrier are still attached to the car?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
John

Posted on: 5/23 2:51
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Re: Locked rear differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Chances are that you have the first-year Twin Traction rear which was an option. You first cure might be to get a bottle of positraction additive which will ease the operation of the clutches in the diff. If that is no help then I would recommend finding a regular rear axle assy and installing that. Since few of us are driving these cars in deep snow, that will be your easiest route. The posi parts are thin on the ground.

Yes, you can service the diff on the car just like any other Dana-Spicer rear: Pull the axles and the back cover and pop it out. But I don't recommend that struggle.

Posted on: 5/23 5:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John, seeing you're in Finland it might be easier to try Ross's suggestion of a bottle of positraction additive first before a complete rear end swap is contemplated. Additionally if you do have to swap rear ends it would be helpful to know whether any other parts like a driveshaft, universal joint, etc are needed to make the swap as painless as possible.

Posted on: 5/23 16:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a write up on how the Twin Traction operates in SC V0l 30 #4. No how to take it apart and repair info in the article but there is a reference that says it is serviced in the same way as the regular axle except that other than the ring gear the detail Twin Traction parts are NA and it is to be serviced as an assy. There is some additional info in a tech bulletin also mentioned in the article and available for download on this site.

Axles are described in the Rear Axle section of the Service Manual which can also be downloaded if you don't have a printed copy. The new to Packard 56 Dana axles are covered in the 56th series supplement at the rear of the section.

Posted on: 5/23 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Hi,

I got myself a bottle of positraction additive. I removed some of the fluid from the diff and peaked in the fill hole. I noticed a bolt sticking out, which didn't look normal. Instead of putting in additive, I decided to drain the fluids and open the back cover with the rear axle still attached to the car. Just to see if there was something obviously wrong.

I can conclude that I have the twin traction safety differential, as shown in SC Vol 30 #4. However, it seems to be in kind of rough shape, since none of the bolts are attached.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Looks like I need to pull things out in order to see what can be salvaged.

John

ps. My brother is flying to visit in a week and a half, so I am able to order a suitcase of parts if needed for him to bring over.

Posted on: 5/24 4:28
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
I was able to get the rear axle out. I built a home made stand, and got the differential assembly out. All eight bolts holding the twin traction unit had sheered off. I think the bolts had loosened up, which eventually caused the failure. The failure also caused a failure in one of the parts inside the limited slip that holds the spider gears. I took the broken part to a machine shop, and am waiting for a quote. He said that he could make it from steel, but it would also need to be hardened. It sounds like it will be a while until he can do it, and he said it might be cheaper to get a used assembly.

If you know of someone with an assembly please let me know. I found the one on ebay, so I have one lead already. The car is a 1956 Patrician.

Here are some pictures for those that are interested.

John

Posted on: 6/6 9:28
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
I also wanted to ask, is there a way for me to "skip" the twin slip/positraction part? It seems difficult, because the inside gears are holding the outside gear in place.

Posted on: 6/6 9:56
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Sorry for all the questions, but one more. The differential I found on ebay is from a 1956 Clipper Super Touring Sedan. Will that be compatible with my 56 Patrician? Since I'm in Finland, I would only get the differential assembly, so I would be fitting the Clipper differential assembly into the Patrician rear axel housing. I would also use my existing rear axles. Are they compatible?

Posted on: 6/6 10:40
John Grohn
1956 Packard Patrician
Currently in Finland
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The parts book would tell you compatibility but I expect the ratios and even the wheel bolt pattern may be different between a Packard and a Clipper. That said, have you checked with the dealers for the parts? Tucson Packards, Merritt, Gerry at Packards Southwest or one of the others should be able to help ger your posi-traction back on the road..

Posted on: 6/6 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I doubt one out of a Clipper will work. The parts book lists many differences.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/platelist.php?cat=25&partslist=1955-1956

Posted on: 6/6 11:37
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved