Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 115 116 117 (118) 119 120 121 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Spoke to Gary Kulp, he has his.orogonal parts, but not 100% sure of stack order.

But there is a fairly thick cup washer about 3/32" thick and 2-1/2" in diameter. The rubber washer/spacer is round and about 1/4" or 3/8" thick, 2-3/8" diameter and is more fabric then it is rubber. He said it looks like it was something cut from a truck side wall.

The carriage bolt has a castlated nut on the underside and the bolt is drilled for a cotter pin.

The hole in the front frame cross member is slightly elongated and about 1-1/8" in diameter. I imagine this is to provide side to side and front to back adjustment.

So that being all said. Is it rubber or metal against the cross member? Also is there another set of metal and rubber washers on the bottom side before the castlated nut?

Posted on: 2023/11/22 10:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard always tried to insulate radiators from excess shock and vibration so if I were going to assemble it, from the top I would go cradle, rubber washers or shims as needed for height and vibration control, crossmember, and another rubber shim or isolating washer for more shock prevention. The cup washer and nut would be below that lower rubber washer. If it is a true cup washer where it has a ridge that surrounds the rubber washer to keep it in position then the washer diameter would depend on the cup dimension and thickness depend on recess depth plus a bit more for cushion. With imagination I can almost see that in the illustration -- 2 washers above the frame, 1 and what is probably the cup washer below. With the castellated nut and cotter pin there is no need for a lockwasher.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 12:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The parts book is a bit confusing in some regards. The parts list in group 11.000 calls out a "bolt isolator". But the 50.950 group it references is Eletrical Conduit. Is their some kind of sleve around the carriage bolt?

Based on the size of the castle nut called out in the parts book for the 115/120, I had to order a 5/8 inch carriage bolt as no one locally stocked them. The existing 1/2" carriage bolt I took out had some weld added to the head to beef up the square portion to 5/8" thickness.

Also I realized the 1935-41 parts book is which is here on the website is missing the 50 utility section. I have two of those books here. A reprint and what I think is an original. The reprint is missing group 50. The original has it.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 15:28
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Some types of freeze plugs might be suitable for a cup washer, or making into a cup washer.

Posted on: 2023/11/22 18:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kev,

Your 115C and its fenders are currently being discussed on the AACA General Forum in this thread.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 16:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You wouldn't belive how many folks failed to read the title or the advert itself and have messaged me thinking I was selling the entire car for 2k.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 18:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I read that too! Hilarious!
Plus you really need to address that 'hump'. (Some people need to stay away from a keyboard!)
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
About the rubber:
I believe the rubber discs go against the cross member, one on top and one underneath. The large steel washers would go on the outside face of the rubber discs with the bolt going through and being made snug enough to squeeeze the rubber just a little, but not tight. The hole in the frame is oversize to allow some adjustment and to allow the frame to flex a little without straining the sheet metal or radiator or jamming the hood. Any needed vertical adjustment could be made with steel washers or thinner rubber discs, or adjusting the body mounts.

Posted on: 2023/11/23 19:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, that's helpful.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 8:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No work on the car for the next week or so as we are headed to the Orlando area as well have some friends that have a vacation house there.

Posted on: 2023/11/24 8:49
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 115 116 117 (118) 119 120 121 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved