Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 258

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Pre War Service Index Groupings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BDeB wrote:.....back of the last page in your copy (page 6 of wheels and tires) if it says printed by Small World Press it is a reprint.
Packard did publish this originally but on fairly heavy paper that has a light tan color as opposed to the white of the reprint.
Brian,

No printers notation there. Plus the paper isn't white, although I thought that could be due to age discolouration as it slowly degrades.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 2:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
We sold these for many years adn were printed for us by Small World Press. AS Studebaker and Packard no longer exist and even if there is a surviving entity such as successor to Worthington Corp, they are not in the business of making manuals. As they canot claim economic harm, even if thjey did renew the copyrights thye cannot clao=im nor recover economic damages. Moot point, print, upload away!!

Posted on: 2011/5/24 5:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Fred!

Now all I have to do is scan the document!

And Kev, in your inbox you should find the link to the long ago promised manual! Only took 18 months, but better late than never.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 7:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
May, thanks. I will go pull it down and process it for upload.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 13:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:.....Now all I have to do is scan the document!.....

At the start, using my manual scanner, it looked liked trying to climb Mt Everest without oxygen. Now, it's mission accomplished! Although I am a little short of breath. Still some checking work to do, then have #1 son do what needs to be done for sending to BigKev for upload.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 17:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
It's been quite a while since we last visited this topic. Although I thought the matter was settled to my satisfaction, further transcription has brought some new information to light that changes things.

Prior to the failure of my HDD, I had created a mock up of the intended 1939-42 Super Eight installment. The result was just over 700 entries.

Yet, closer inspection revealed that nearly half of those entries are either non-specific or general in application. Less than four dozen are specific to the 39-42 Super Eight line, and half of those involve the new engine developed for 1940. That leaves hundreds of topics which are common to other models.

I then ran a similar mockup for the Junior models, Six and Eight, for the same time frame and came up with just under 750 entires.

I won't go into all the details, but there seems to be way too much overlap between to justify TWO installments, especially when we have an Application field to make distinctions.

I'm thinking that combining these two, plus any releveant topics from earlier years, as a single installment on 1938-42 (less the 1938 Su8), might be the answer - as shown in the graphical depiction, below. Naming the thing is a bit awkward, though.

Yet, even this may may not be the final word - as I continued to work my way back through years.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.52 KB)
103_4ea9822d50bfb.jpg 945X378 px

Posted on: 2011/10/27 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Now, before anyone gets too comfortable with this last revision, let me take things a step further.

Following the replacement of my failed HDD, reinstallation of my software, and restortion of the data that had been safely backed-up, I continued working may way back through 1937 documents, and then - with some additional third-party info - all the way through 1935.

The installment for 1935-37 Juniors (120 and 115C) was clearly a no-brainer, but I began dwelling on the 1937-39 Twelves and 1937-38 Su8s.

Further page-turning shows that, after the end of the old Eights, the Super Eight and Twelve were redesigned for 1937 and even shared some body parts. Though each had its own specific chassis, both were updated with hydraulic brakes and independent front suspension, derived from development of the successful 120 line.

A mock-up of an installment for 1937-39 Seniors shows a little over 550 topics. While that sounds pretty substantial, nearly 400 of those are either non-specific or general in their application, and further research may weed some of those out. About 50 topics are specific to the 15th Series, which consists of only Su8s and Twelves. (120 and 115C applications are always referenced separately from the regular Series during this time).

I started to wonder if the parts book approach was getting in the way - that I was trying to stratify this thing a bit too much.

With so much additional overlap in topics, I'm now thinking of combining these into one large installment: 1937-42 (15th-20th), covering all Packards, EXCEPT 120C and 115C models - as shown in the revised graphic, below.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.78 KB)
103_4ea988ea6ca50.jpg 945X356 px

Posted on: 2011/10/27 11:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have no value add on this as I really don't know my Pre-War groupings. So I will have to let the Pre-War folks chime in.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 13:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tough categorization to figure out. I need to look at it more closely, but there may be a typo in the Key for the Red: it says 1932 - 1938, but the graph goes from 1932 - 1936. Small nit to pick. Good job!

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/27 15:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
JW -

Yes, this is a very tumultuous period in model development history, and my knowledge of PreWar cars isn't much better than BigKev's.

In defining groupings for previous installments of our online Service Index, I hadn't made any distinction between Junior vs. Senior. It was only with the blurred lines of 1942 that things began to get complicated, but it was easy enough to say Clipper or not.

1937 seems to be a quite a turning point. The Seniors Eights were gone. The old Su8 and 12, at least in hindsight, appear to be in a phaseout period. it was the technology allowed for the 120 that would carry Packard out of the Great Depression and beyond WWII.

WRT to the Red Key, I am admittedly a poor typist, but what you are seeing, in this case, is the result of the system resizing the image for display. If you click on that image, it will open, a new window, with the graphic displayed in full size, and you'll see that the key matches the graphic.

Whether or not the starting point of 1932 is appropriate is a whole 'nuther matter. That might not be resolved until we have material from that time frame available for review.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 18:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved