Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: noisy lifters (hydraulic)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Simplist way to determine if the filter, fittings, restrictor etc. is the source of your noisy lifter problem is to simply disconnect it all and run a short temporary jumper line directly from the oil galley outlet to the lifter galley feed directly above it. If the noise goes away, you know the problem.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 9:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

steve-52/200 wrote:
thank you very much for the pic ,Mine looks really different! Still waiting for a chance to post a pic to compare ,I have a extra t screwed into the first t with the sender on it .Im suspecting some funny buisness!

It almost sounds as if you have an arrangement similar to one used prewar with a different motor and filter. Perhaps someone copied that setup without all the necessary fittings or changes.

There appears to have been a bit of a learning curve early on with filter plumbing. Those early setups, in addition to a different filter, had a restriction in the elbow fitting into the canister instead of the tee and also developed noisy lifter issues requiring plumbing changes after a time.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 9:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
heres my set up ,after market sheenanigans?perhaps there isnt a restriction ,ive ordered the original t block from max merrit.I noticed my oil lines are copper not steel like your ,also an aftermarket swap?

Attach file:

jpg  (97.89 KB)
2990_4f91081ecbbff.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (97.89 KB)
2990_4f91088ec40f1.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/20 1:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Aftermarket shenanigans? Yes, Rube Goldberg work product. But in the absence of the correct Tee a decent way to do it as long as you remember to provide a restriction either in the outmost Tee, the line itelf, or the inlet fitting to the filter.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Is this bend as compressed as it appears? If so, I think that it could be a big part of your problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.25 KB)
188_4f916429384e8.jpg 843X1145 px

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sharp eyes JD, you could well have hit a home run.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aftermarket -- Hard to say. Perhaps a transplant from an earlier engine or an attempt to duplicate from memory without having or doing all the details. Here is a 40-42 version of the setup. As to copper, again a question if it was copied. Believe there was some discussion during a recent 40s project as to what was correct on early engines. Copper had some votes and believe that car went with copper. At any rate, entire setup is wrong for postwars. The crushed tube certainly doesn't help things.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.03 KB)
209_4f916b869f94c.jpg 356X420 px

Posted on: 2012/4/20 8:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The crushed tube could very well be the source of the problem...starving the lifters. Also the lines should all be steel on post war.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 10:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
wow ,collective sharpness!
thank you so much ,I could have never figured out that one , everyones comments are much appretiated,and thank you fo the expertise !!

I didnt notice the ding in the tube ,I cleaned everything off real well, and held my phone down in the engine to snap a pick and then tried to figure out how to send it ,

Thanks a bunch ! Ill replace all the lines with proper spec steel ones along with the propper restriction block which is already comming in the mail .
this adds to my suspicion that the engine was an add in at some later point in the cars life ,this oil system was possibly cobbled in from stuff lying around the shop ,maby from the single bay shop floor of a genuine service station with uniformed attendants pumping your 12 ct gas,wiping your windows and checking the oil.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Wait a minute... does this oil line indicate the presence of hydraulic lifters?

My engine number indicates no.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.35 KB)
4371_4f92f34b4e8bb.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (40.43 KB)
4371_4f92f3684a315.jpg 800X566 px

Posted on: 2012/4/21 12:50
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved