Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 54 55 56 (57) 58 59 60 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I agree with West’s assessment! The pontoon fenders and no running boards are what really set it off from any others. Otherwise why not just get one not already modified?

Posted on: 2023/2/21 13:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Marks vision for this car was always to be a "jalopy". So a bit of mismatched parts, the Jag motor and the modifications to the fenders. It was never intended to be painted or really metal finished. Or even have a top.

This car came from Calif as a partially stripped parts car.

The metal work on the car was farmed out by Mark to someone else. While it's neat, and suitable for a "jalopy" look, it not done to a point where it could be painted without 100s of hours of more work into the shaping and getting it all dialed in properly. Which is beyond my abilities or budget.

Also the inner rockers are rotten. As is the body behind the b-pillar. So at a minimum all that has to be pulled apart to repair.

Also we have the door clearance issues.

So that's where his vision and my reality diverge. So where does that really leave me?

The Jag motor is staying, and there was some really good engineering done by Mark there.

But, in the end, while it will be neat to drive it for a few years in patina. The can needs to be stabilzed, rust repaired and eventually painted.

But as it sits, it needs way more work than budget will ever allow. And swapping back original fenders is the shortest and budget allowing path to getting a stabilized car that could eventually get into paint.

Perhaps there is a middle ground with creating a more sympathetic running board delete look as was done with the later cars. But at present, not sure what that is.

Posted on: 2023/2/21 17:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Good thought process, and I tend to agree with you. Budget and time are not unlimited.

For what it's worth, I like the look of running boards. Maybe it's because I'm from a younger generation and I hardly ever saw any cars with running boards growing up. To me, they show the elegance of a time long past.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/2/21 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I was with my brother years ago when he 1st got his Model A. We got stopped by the police on the way back home and the cop told us he had just never stopped a car he could rest his foot on the running board! Looked the car over and gave us a coupon for a local eatery. Great fun!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/21 19:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
At the end of the day, it's all about getting the car back on the road for the long term vs it being parted out further or scrapped. That's why I got into the project.

Similar to my '54, I am starting with a car that needs a lot of work, and years of sweat equity. A car that, frankly, most folks would have passed on due to the work, time, and expense involved. Buying a "better", more correct car is not really an option as the convertibles are fairly expensive, even in poor shape, and then all the same things still have to be done.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 11:11
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I found the running boards caused awkward entry and exit. The boards are wide and the top is low. This made for difficult in and out. Personally, I think these prewar cars without running boards are much more attractive. Just my two cents...

Posted on: 2023/2/22 18:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe you could figure out how to rig a slide or fold out mechanism like they use in some of the late model pickups and have it carry the running board. Disguise the step that is part of the mechanism or figure out how to mount a real Packard item in its place.

Your wife would get her running board and be happy, those who like the board less look could close their eyes while it is out and pretend it is not present when it's not out so they would be happy. A win for everyone. 😀

Posted on: 2023/2/22 18:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The reason 37 didn't have a running board delete option is due to the shape of the fender. It comes back to a square edge. So without a running board there, it's looks really odd.

This is why Mark had the fenders extended. But sadly a bit too much, as now we have the door issue. I'm sure there is a way to rework it, but that would take some serious metal working abilities which is beyond my skill set.

So I'm left with going back to normal fenders, which also means I then need running boards.

It's a bit of a catch 22. But I have to do what is realistic with my budget.

Anyway I think we've beat this horse to glue.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 19:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Does anyone have a picture of a 37 trimmed in the Tan leather option.

Also, in the 35-41 Parts Book, Groupon 30, the first couple of pages, they list paint and interior schemes. But they do not list what leather colors are available with scheme J, Almond Green.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 22:15
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Tim the tool man style

20 pound sledge and bound it down till it fits.

Posted on: 2023/2/23 2:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 54 55 56 (57) 58 59 60 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved