Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 203

Bob1949Packard, Aiden, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Buy or Stay away? - 55 Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Did some through investigation on the mentioned Hantaviris comments. Key being the following:

"How long can hantavirus remain infectious in the environment?

The length of time hantaviruses can remain infectious in the environment is variable and depends on environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, whether the virus is indoors or outdoors or exposed to the sun, and even on the rodent's diet (which would affect the chemistry of its urine). Viability for 2 or 3 days has been shown at normal room temperature. Exposure to sunlight will decrease the time of viability, and freezing temperatures will actually increase the time that the virus remains viable. Since the survival of infectious virus is measured in terms of hours or days, only active infestations of infected rodents result in conditions that are likely to lead to human hantavirus infection."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/faq.htm

Considering that this car has not had active rats in it for 4+ years in blazing hot temps I would say the risk is gone. Only Active infestations should be of concern.

Dirty yes, deadly probably not.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dan A,

Good information that will be of benefit to many of us here. Better to be informed and safe than take a chance of contracting a serious infection. Thanks for your research and posting the message.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/25 17:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Since everybody is trying to scare poor Dan how about checking it for bedbugs? Bedbugs and body lice transmit typhus and the bacteria can hang around for awhile.

When I was overseas I had a very mild case of typhoid fever. It lasted several weeks and was like the flu except that you woke up feeling okay and as the day progressed you got sicker and sicker. Finally one day I collapsed and had to lay perfectly still in darkness for 48 hours.

Now there's something to be afraid of.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Soooo, now that the health issues are solved, Dan, upon further consideration (concerning the car), have you decided one way or the other.....is she a keeper???? Inquiring minds want to know.

Regards,
Steve.........

PS......I have a small quantity of napalm if needed

Posted on: 2012/6/25 20:47
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Napalm?! I was thinking Thorazine...

Posted on: 2012/6/25 20:50
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information

Posted on: 2012/6/25 20:51
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Yes, I took the plunge and got it. I'm happy with it and am also glad I paid a small sum to have it professionally cleaned out and disinfected.

So I started out a few weeks ago buying a 55 Clipper deluxe that I realized needed more work then I could handle so I got this Patrician. The new one is complete and much further along. I realized that if I was going to drop ~20k on fixing up a Packard I'd rather start with one with more options.

I'm planning now to get rid of the Clipper once all the title work clears. My wife is OK with 1 old car, 2 was over the limit.

I'll get some pics and register the Patrician soon. It's Onyx(V)with blue interior(62).

Posted on: 2012/6/26 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Dan A wrote:Yes, I took the plunge and got it...I'm planning now to get rid of the Clipper...I'll get some pics and register the Patrician soon...
Dan,
Congratulations on the Pat and for remembering about a Registry entry for it. Looking forward to seeing it aboard.

Regarding the Clipper, when it goes could you please update the Registry entry that it's sold? Or advise me and I can do it for you.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 15:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
su8....was that test ride in 1977 in san diego?

rik

Posted on: 2012/6/27 14:38
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Rik -- No, 'twas here in Walnut Creek, the East Bay area.
And i've no idea what became of the car, mainly as i've no interest in Packards beginning in the year Alvan Macauley left the Company. But, given its mint condition, it certainly survives. My friend was more catholic in his taste than i.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 14:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved