Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 65

Ross, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

connecting rod applications
Just popping in
Just popping in

babbitt
See User information
I'm new to the Packard Nation and having trouble with identifying engine application by the connecting rods that I have. The numbers are as follows:
1. 219686 - 9 1 A
2. 221639 - 4 D
3. 186646
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:15
 Top  Print   

Re: connecting rod applications
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The #s found on connecting rods are typically forging numbers and not part numbers; forging numbers are not listed in the parts books and I don't know of a cross-reference for them so I think identifying them will prove difficult. I've got some stray rods in the parts bin and will post again here if I find any matches.

If we assume for the moment that forging numbers, like casting numbers, are in close numeric proximity to their final parts numbers, your rods would seem to date to about 1936 and earlier. And don't forget for the senior eights, rods 1,3,5 &7 were different that 2,4,6 and 8 in most (all?) of those motors.

PS - are the rod caps finned or plain? Poured bearings or machined for shells? Center-to-center length? Main journal diameter? Center to center on the 320 engines is about 10-15/16, measured crudely.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 9:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This may be a case where a picture is worth a thousand words!

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

36V12
See User information
Hello - I sent an e-mail to your gmail account today. Please check your e-mail...
Thanks in advance.

Abel

Posted on: 2012/8/12 1:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Abel,
Although a PackardInfo member for a while this is your first post, so

And I invite you to include your 36V12 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/8/12 1:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Babbitt

I hope these rods are loose stock and not part of an engine because these number indicate different series rods. If they are part of an engine then I assume that is why it requires service.

For motors with babbitt bearings individual rods could be purchased as replacements. Substitution of insert bearing rods was an authorized repair for 7th through 11th series cars, but they were sold in sets. Of course cheating would occur.

For cars with insert bearings, the numbers should thus match, but for cars with poured bearings they do not have to match. By matched set there are two number sets, one for odd cylinders and the other for even cylinders. On the twelve one number for left bank and one number for right bank. These numbers are different by one.

Things get even more foggy because Packard listed babbitt bearing rod assemblies for 12th series cars.

Now, if the car has babbitt bearings the casting numbers denote the original bearing size (std, .001, .002 etc), so they need only weigh the same and be congruent. When new the cars had matched sets as noted above.

If the car has insert bearings the numbers should be a matched set.

I assume in the case of bearing burnout the replacement would have the same number if purchased through Packard, but after WWII who knows what would have been going into those motors.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I've found some numbers that are close but no cherry yet. A 221630 fit a 35-37 Std. 8 and 38 8-1603-4-5. A 186650 fit a 32 Packard 903 and 904.
A 219686 fit a 35-36 Packard 12 Cylinder. That one is a solid match.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/8/13 12:50
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved