Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 214

RKS, Bob J, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Packard six fuel pump question
Just popping in
Just popping in

RyanB
See User information
Hi, this is my first post. I have just started the engine project on my '38 six. Original engine but missing fuel pump. I ordered a fuel that is supposed to fit, it is a KEM 508AJ. When I match it to the opening on the engine, the bolt holes don't line up exactly right. I'm not sure if "arm" is too long or what. Does anyone know if the part # should work on this engine?
I have a shop manual but it doesn't list part number or show any pictures. Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Ryan

Posted on: 2012/9/6 16:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Packard six fuel pump question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ryan,

to PackardInfo. Maybe you could post a pic of the pump you have? In the meantime I invite you to include your '38 Six in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/9/7 8:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You might try Arthur Gould Rebuilders. I purchased a very nice re-built fuel/vacuum pump as a spare for my 356s. They are knowledgeable and I think their prices are reasonable. Worth a try anyway.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Welcome !

There is a insulator block(looks like a 1/4" thick gasket) that is between the engine
and fuel pump that is required along with insulating bushings that go around the mounting bolts.The bushings look like they would be made of a thick cardboard tube. That might be why your not matching up.The bolts will be drilled for safety wire if you found them. Someone on here I'm sure will have pics.

Would you also include these items when you put your car in the registry..your engine Serial # (located in the front left of the engine just below the head.)
And the thief proof # Located on the firewall passenger side.

And the model # on the decal located on the drivers side firewall about 12" above the starter...(if its still there)
Thanks,
RT

Posted on: 2012/9/7 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
508 is the correct industry number, however to be sure, please look for a 7 digit number cast into the fuel pump arm and advise.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

1938 Club Coupe wrote:

There is a insulator block(looks like a 1/4" thick gasket) that is between the engine
and fuel pump that is required along with insulating bushings that go around the mounting bolts.The bushings look like they would be made of a thick cardboard tube. That might be why your not matching up.The bolts will be drilled for safety wire if you found them. Someone on here I'm sure will have pics.

Good advice, and there should be an insulating flat washer between the fuel pump and the head of bolts.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/7 16:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
You may need to force the pump a little to get the arm to compress the diaphragm in order to get the holes to line up. Sometimes the cam the pump arm rides on is in such a position that you have to get the arm to move while starting the bolts.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 17:17
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Ryan

In case the eccentric on the cam is in the position 51 suggested, you can also crank the engine so the eccentric is on it's low spot. The pump will slip right in

Ask me how I know

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/9/7 20:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RyanB
See User information
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I will post pics of the fuel pump and look into where to find the washers/gaskets. Definitely was trying to line it up directly, just metal to metal. Appreciate the input!

Ryan

Posted on: 2012/9/7 22:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

RyanB
See User information
Hello again,

Here are the pics:

Any advice on whether this is right pump, where to find gaskets/washers (or if they can be made), would be appreciated.

Number on fuel pump arm is 7523215
Thanks, Ryan

Attach file:

jpg  (79.07 KB)
4653_504e1266ed104.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (78.04 KB)
4653_504e12758f75f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (85.03 KB)
4653_504e12811b5e4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (86.39 KB)
4653_504e1297bf2a8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/9/10 11:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved