Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

moodydavid16, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: engine is out... now what do I do?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tighten the pan bolts in a criss-cross pattern like a torquing a head. EXCEPT be sure to keep significantly more torque on the 4our CORNER bolts thru the process. IIRC this covered in the SM and is standard procedure with oil pans thru out all engines regardless of mfg'er.

If u have the timing chain cover removed then do NOT tighten cover until the balancer is fully installed.

Did u have the timing cover off???? Note that there is some issues with the key for the balancer/slinger/crank gear to be aware of.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 14:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Raeshell
See User information
Hi...I am new to the site, I have just recently bought a 55 Clipper Deluxe and I was looking through the engine Identification to find out a bit about the motor. I also have the same numbers as you 446527. I found only info about 446521 being a 320 CID..Do you know what the 27 is? I am assuming the 11 9 54 is when the engine was stamped and put into my car which would make it an early 55?

I am new to Packards and after crawling through this car I am very impressed with the car. I bought it cheap ??(1800.00) and was going to paint it up and sell it and now I am thinking I might keep it because the car just sits right with me.

[img width=300]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150943584432950&set=a.10150943583962950.422285.638187949&type=3&theater[/img]

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/13 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a good start of a nice project car if you decide to keep it. A few little dings gathered in it's almost 60 years. Just check for the dreaded rust in the usual spots. You can do a search on site for several threads mentioning some typical places.

If you are referring to the number cast over the bellhousing, don't recall hearing mention of a 27 and I suspect it is more likely a 21. Maybe a bit of rough casting something is distorting the 1. The 11 9 54 number is when the block was cast. After that it went to machining and assembly etc but is an early engine.

You can check the engine serial number on top of block near the oil filler tube and see if it matches the car body number. If it does, then you can be reasonably sure it's the original 320.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Raeshell
See User information
This site has helped a lot so far :)
The engine and vin numbers are matching so we do know that it is the original motor for the car. It is definitely a 7 on our car. After I looked it up I went back out and second checked it because I found no reference to a 7 but it is a 7. In the first bunch of pics on this thread I seen this engine he was talking about also had a 7 so I figured I would throw it out to everyone and seen if it was maybe a bored out motor. Not that the engine looks like it needs it...it is a beast :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150954360987950&set=a.10150943583962950.422285.638187949&type=3&theater

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Both yours and Keegans engine does look like a 7. Perhaps the reference in the serial number data is in error and should be changed. Anyone else have a 320 engine accessible and can confirm whether it should be a 7 instead of a 1?

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Raeshell
to PackardInfo and for including your '55 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Raeshell
See User information
I found out what the mysterious 446527 motor is

As before, the Statesman was on a 2.900 m wheelbase, the Ambassador on a a 3.081 m wheelbase. The Statesman was available only with a 3.2 liter 6, with 100 or 110 hp. The Ambassador was available with a 4.1 liter 6, 130 or 140 hp, and a 5.2 liter V8, an engine bought from Packard which was also used in the 1955 Packard Clipper.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_engine_casting_numbers.htm

so wondering now how I have a motor made for AMC with my vin number stamped on it. a mix up or Packard run out so they snatched a motor???

Posted on: 2012/9/24 21:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are referring to the number cast on top of the bellhousing along with a date, it designates that is a block for the 320 CID engine. There is a bulletin saying the number ends in a 1 but numerous people say it's a 7. JW just checked his 55 Clipper last week and found the same 446527 number.

A number for one of the 3 different size engines and a date the casting was done is on all blocks. Studebaker will have a similar situation with the different 352 number on the engine used on 56 Golden Hawks.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.11 KB)
209_50611eba288d8.jpg 345X328 px

Posted on: 2012/9/24 22:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Raeshell
See User information
I typed 446527 engine into my search bar and it came up as an AMC motor. So I started googling the 55 AMC motor and found out that Packard sold Nash/AMC their engines and trans in 1955-57 and the 27 number was supposed to go into the Nash Ambassador but somehow ended up in my car which is the Packard. My car should of had the 446521 number but somehow ended up with the 27 code..My vin is stamped on my motor though so I know it came with the car.

Why I wondered if maybe they ran out of motors while my car was on the line or if they mixed it up...or they pulled it because Romney gave them trouble after Mason who was in charge of the mergers had died in October of 54 which is 2 months before the date stamped on my motor

http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/110

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Mason

lol...If I was a conspiracy theorist I might think something was up with the sudden death of a man who was trying to save these cars companies and Romney coming in and destroying any chance of that happening...and then getting elected Governor afterwards too much? lol

Posted on: 2012/9/24 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
I usually don't like gasket cements. But on mine i permatexed the gaskets to the ENGINE and RTV on the pan. That will facilitateez removal without gasket damage. Mine has been R&R at least 15 times over the last 20K miles and 8 years or more. Just did it the other day and a timing chain too. NO PROBLEMS. IT doesnt leak a drop.

Exactamundo, PackardV8. The Permatex (#2 ONLY--non-hardening BTW) holds the gasket in place and gives you time to line everything up. Often on a gasket for a low-pressure seal, like on a "pumpkin" cover, the recommendation is to use the Permatex on only one side, though, at least the last one I replaced was thus, and no cement on the cover side. I think it depends mostly on which side you'd rather remove the gasket from later. But, then again, I'M NOT AN EXPERT!

Posted on: 2012/9/25 23:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved