Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 174

Sankie61, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Does this station wagon still exist?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/21-foot-12-passenger-station-wagon/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ModernMechanix+%28Modern+Mechanix%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

I found this link on today's Hemmings blog.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 9:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Does this station wagon still exist?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know if it still exists, I can't say I've ever even heard folks discussing it. It was of course a modification of the Henney Sr. line of commercial vehicles and I believe it was built on that 156 inch wheelbase.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wasn't there a mention or a comparison in either the Kimes edited book or maybe a PAC published article. Believe there were some interior photos showing a fairly plush back portion. Not sure what they were comparing to but IIRC the sheer size was found to be a huge deterrent. Believe one of the articles or writers of the time said it felt like driving a bus.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I vaguely remember something from the past about a Packard "El Paso" station wagon. Can't place it right now.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I found this post in a thread on the Professional Car Society Web site:

"Keith Snyder
08-20-2010, 09:51 AM
The story of the Henney Super Station Wagon is related in detail in McPherson's recent Henney book. You're right, there was only one and that was destroyed in a fire."

Posted on: 2013/2/25 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Here is a link to the Packard "El Paso" station wagon. Don't know if this was ever built for the public.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1953-Packard-El-Paso-Station-Wagon-Ad-Framed-Rare-Automobilia-Old-Car-/140921684514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf964222

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't recall any mention of the Henney Super Station Wagon in the "Kimes book". (The change in the Bookshelf entries to indicate "Author" as "Martin, Bradley, et al" was unnecessary, and I completely disagree with that action.)

I vaguely remember an article showing pix of a car like that, but abandoned and vandalized, with windows smashed out. It may have been The Packard Cormorant, but I've no way to check as I have since disposed of my collection of that publication. IIRC, the one-off car was ultimately scrapped.

While I don't think there was much market for a wagon with a "wet bar", it's a shame that Packard didn't pick up on the idea, which seems ahead of its time. For example, I don't recall third-row, rear-facing seats prior to the 1960s. With a little tweaking, and a Jr. model, as well, wagon models might have been just what Packard needed for some additional sales in those years.

Meanwhile, the "El Paso" station wagon is something completely different and never rolled off the factory assembly line. Rather it is one three "Ghost Packards" commissioned by Carl Schneider and featured in the April 2002 issue of Collectible Automobile. One of the cars was based on actual factory drawings that were discivered abroad, and another was based on design described by Macauley in a Saga magazine article. However, I'm not sure of inspriration for the wagon. IIRC, it has since undergone some revision WRT interior and "endgate".

Not long after those cars appeared in CA, Schneider was a featured guest at the annual Perrysburg, OH meet. He had faux brochures made, in the style of factory-published material of the period, and while stock of those brochures were available for sale at that meet, the price was too rich for my pocketbook.

I suspect the eBay offering (#140921684514) is NOT a vintage ad, but was similarly made, as set dressing. Caveat emptor.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 19:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Just for interests sake, in America's Packard Museum, Dayton Ohio, there is a '50's Station Wagon.

More pic's in this album, starting from Pic #160.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.79 KB)
226_512c24ff673cc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.17 KB)
226_512c250d85a75.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.88 KB)
226_512c251c3b55e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I believe Packard did good business on their 1949 and 1950 station wagons. Very cleverly, they based them on their sedans and used as many sedan parts as possible. Most of the new parts were made of wood which is cheaper to tool up than steel.

So yes, there was a lot of hand work but the cost of adding a station wagon to the line was minimal. They sold for a premium price, station wagons were the most expensive body style in any car maker's line. So I believe they made a profit. And the station wagon was a great prestige car. In those days they were associated with the country club set, the yachting set, and the upper crust generally.

Why didn't Packard make a similar wagon based on the 51 and up junior line? The fifties were the great boom years for the station wagon and it puzzles me that Packard dropped them just when they were becoming popular.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Quite a beautiful station wagon.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 20:55
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved