Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ultramatic Transmssion Mystery after rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should not need to prime the converter. As long as the pump is able to pick up and pressurize the fluid, it would automatically be directed to the converter -- unless a valve is stuck or a fluid path is blocked. Did the mechanic open and clean the valve body. If so, Packard issued bulletins cautioning about excess torque on the bolts being an issue that could cause stuck valves.

Here is converter inlet test point.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.94 KB)
209_512f7ad5c1272.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/2/28 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,

I will have to look it up when I get home from work. I hope I still have the information. Do you know Tim Stewart in Austin? Tim comes to Salado, and has a 55 pink Caribbean among other cars. I think he could tell you where it is.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I am quite enjoying the photos posted showing the inner parts of the Ultramatic Trans.

To the point I am wondering if you have a higher resolution version that could be put somewhere on this forum for those of us who have never viewed the inner workings of an Ultramatic.

The posted version are good but I suspect the web site has to scale these in a post situation.

I have no personal desire to remove my ultramatic for show and tell.

Thanks, Jimn

Posted on: 2013/2/28 14:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Right now I cannot place Tim Stewart, but might recognize his face. I go to Salado every year with either my 54 or 52, subject of this post. I am crushing days to get the 52 ready to take. *Transmissions shops in N. Austin from 15 years ago are probably gone. There is Carter's on N. Lamar
that I have used before-once-in the early 90's.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:17
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
On the valve body I don't know if the transmission rebuilder opened and cleaned that. I feel sure he did. I'll have to ask him when he gets back. Thanks for sending this diagram!!

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:30
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, sorry to hear of your Ultramatic problems. Tim Stuart (not Stewart) is listed in the PAC directory.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/28 18:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Every once in a great while I have had an Ultramatic apparently air lock on the initial startup; by that I mean that the front pump does not pick up the fluid and consequently fill the convertor.

Now that the car has had a chance to sit a while with the fluid level high in the case, the fluid has likely found its way into the front pump and will start pumping through the trans and into the convertor when you start the engine.

If still no luck, then I would have them check the convertor valve for freedom of motion.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I never had a problem like this so I am interested to hear what the cause is.

Anyway, I don't see any reason why you can't pull a vacuum on the lube line and fill the converter. The lube line is the return from the cooler.

Even though manuals don't stipulate filling the converter, I always dump a couple of quarts into them. I suppose if you put trans gel into the oil pump it would produce immediate suction as well.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 23:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thought of another thing: Check for correct assembly of the regulator valve that runs side to side in the bell housing. It is possible to assemble with the spring on the wrong end. Ask me how I know.
This is the valve most easily reached in that there is a plug with a 7/8 head on it on both the right and left side of the bell housing. It can be checked without removing or draining anything. Correct assy is shown in the shop manual.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 4:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, The Ultramatic pre 1955 does not have transfer tubes.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 6:25
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved