Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

28 526 roof wood framing
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
My car came with body off and a tarp over the non metal roof area. I have wood around the perimeter but nothing across the space. Does anybody know where to find drawings, photos or anything else to determine what goes into finishing the roof before the outer and inner materials are laid?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 22:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 28 526 roof wood framing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have a look at Ray's Project Blog about his 526, here, but probably more so this thread.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 4:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
The wood "top" was just strips to hold up the soft top, covered with chicken wire. You won't find any useful drawings, just make strips of about 1" thickness that follow the contours of what the top should be. Look closely, and I bet you will find where the strips were joined into the rails. How about some pics!! Welcome aboard.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 4:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My '32 901 is under construction and I have yet to cover the top so the wood bows are exposed. The bows on the car and been replaced as some kids decided to jump through it before I bought the car. I would guess that your '28 would have the same type of construction.

I'll need to take it out of the garage in order to take some picture, which I'll try to post in the next week or so. It is not too difficult to replace them - just a pain in the ass.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 7:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There is an article called "How Packard Builds a Body" floating around which may provide some usefull pictures.

But I don't know where it is. It might be on Youtube.com.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 8:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's a discussion from the 1934 Salesman's Data Book on the roof construction; hopefully this will be helpful as the general method of construction stayed pretty much the same over the years.

Attach file:

jpg  (180.45 KB)
177_514c95ee0778c.jpg 1043X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/3/22 12:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't that description of the roof interesting! I knew it was wood framed but there is more to it than I thought. Somehow though I think Packard PR was alive and well when they described their wood roof with chickenwire as strong yet light. I don't think it would be that strong in a rollover. Of course, in relation to canvas tops and open cars of the era -- and perhaps a less expensive car or two, maybe so.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
All great information. The salesman's book is very helpful. I wonder if there is one similar for the 28?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a 28 fact book for the 443 model in the literature section but it's all text -- no pictures. Doesn't appear anything for your model is available (yet).
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?450

Posted on: 2013/3/22 23:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The opening on my '32 901 is ~40 ?" by 81". It has 7 bows the 1st one (from the front is 1 ?" wide and 1 ?" high. The remaining bows are ?" wide and 1" high. They are made of a hardwood probably oak, but could be ask or hickory. Between bows 4 and 5 there is a support for the dome light (see photos).

The main criteria is that the roof line must flow in a nice curve going from front to back and from left to right. The bow serve as the platform on to which 1" chicken wire is nailed. Cotton goes over the wire, then cotton muslin, and finally the top material. The goal is to have it all flow in a very naturally flow across the top with no lumps.

Let me know if the size of your opening is close to mine. If it is I'll trace the profiles of my 7 bows and mail them to you. I'll also try to get pictures of them this weekend. Also, I'd use a water proof glue like Tite Bond III for gluing the new ones in.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.68 KB)
1063_514dcdd24aa64.jpg 1078X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/3/23 10:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved