Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What Was Packard's Best Inline 8 Engine?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BreakingPackard
See User information
Somewhere on this website I read that the 327 was a "much better" engine than the 359. How so?

Are the 9 main bearing engines considered better than the 5s?

What was Packard's best inline 8 engine? Ever?

What was Packard's best engine ever?

In terms of best I'm thinking dependability and longevity.

I'm new here. More later.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: What Was Packard's Best Inline 8 Engine?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, the 9 mains are smoother and maybe more rugged -- but that would be expected with more support for the crank. The 359 was just a bored and stroked 9 main 327 so mechanically very similar. The issues were with the aluminum head on the 359. Those didn't hold up all that well. The increased compression ratio makes the 359 a bit more temperamental with gas quality. If the aluminum head is changed to cast iron and decent gas is used, the 359 will give a lot of service.

The 356 was also a good engine but probably more expensive to build and work on. As to the absolute best, I don't know much about how prewars compare. I know the postwar inline eights will take a fair amount of abuse without too much complaint but when they have had enough, they let you know. Just my

Posted on: 2013/10/18 22:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Probably the best, most developed was the last, 212HP 359. Even though it was a mediocre engine compared to its OHV V8 rivals.

In the context of its times, the very first straight eight was a "better" engine in comparison to what others were building.

I too would like to know why they made both a 5 main and 9 main bearing 327 engine.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
My vote goes to the 7th series Speedster 8. In terms of longevity they were like a perpetual motion machine. They used to call them Old Faithfuls because they never stopped running. Especially remarkable since they didn't have air filters and only a bypass oil filter.

Of course the Speedster was a $2500 option in 1930 so you better get something for your money.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
327 9-main bearing. Not as complicated and more powerful than the 356.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/21 12:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
When you are ready to discuss Packard's best engines....those of us in the V minority are here to enlighten....

Mine is in comfortable early mid-life, with plenty of power and the best exhaust note ever made.

Once the GM parts were removed she runs like a deer with the power of a champion stallion.

As a side note, I feel pain for anyone forced to drive and car that rides on common springs...

Posted on: 2013/10/21 15:51
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

BreakingPackard
See User information
Thanks gentlemen for your responses and it appears a consensus may be developing for the 9 main bearing engines.

I can understand the 327 as the obvious choice but hope the 359 is not far behind as I just purchased a 1954 Patrician. My first Packard. And really the year and model I wanted. I would have preferred a '54 limousine but I believe that's a tall order. I want to add it to the registry but need to get a photo first.

Were the 9 main bearing engines available only in the Patricians? Were they also used in the limousines? What did hearses use?

Pat please pardon my having left the V8s temporarily in the periphery. How DO they compare with the inline engines in terms of longevity?

Do any of these engines have forged cranks?

Posted on: 2013/10/21 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I want to add it to the registry but need to get a photo first."

G'day BreakingPackard,
to PackardInfo and great to see you're wanting to add your '54 Patrician to the Registry. I'm looking forward to seeing it in there.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can understand the 327 as the obvious choice but hope the 359 is not far behind as I just purchased a 1954 Patrician

They are essentially the same engine with a slight bore and stroke difference so longevity experiences should be the same with the exception of the sometimes troublesome aluminum cylinder head on the 359 but that's easily dealt with. The chart below shows which which 54 chassis types had the 359 engine, they are 5406, 5426, 5433, 5413 and 5431 which covered the Caribbean, Convertible, Pacific, Patrician sedan and formal sedan, 8-pass. sedan and limousine, and the 156" WB commercial chassis.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.36 KB)
177_5265facc4dc73.jpg 933X1201 px

Posted on: 2013/10/21 23:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Pat please pardon my having left the V8s temporarily in the periphery. How DO they compare with the inline engines in terms of longevity?

It's an interesting question.

To the best of my knowledge, my car has never had the heads off. It did get a heart transplant (read new oil pump; the olds version) at around 79,000 miles. At that time the lifters were all replaced (one was bad).

Compression test showed all cylinders were withing overall spec, though not as close together as the book likes. It starts easily and runs powerfully and smoothly, using a quart of oil about every 500 miles.

I haven't looked it up, but I imagine the piston travel per mile is appreciably lower than the inlines; conversely compression is higher.

On paper, it should probably last longer; statistically most probably did not given the oil pump issues.....

Is there any scientific evidence to support either side? I imagine lots of anecdotal stuff but few useful stats....

Posted on: 2013/10/22 12:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved