Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Packard Don, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Liberty V12 powered Gar-Wood boat
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Although the focus here on PackardInfo is on Packard automobiles, from time to time other Packard related items are showcased. This is one of those. It was found in the AACA ""Not Mine" For Sale Forum as was the '42 Packard Panel Truck I referenced in this thread in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicles For Sale Forum.

The Packard connection? A Liberty V12 Engine powering the Gar Woods boat.

Link to the Facebook Marketplace ad.

Link to the AACA Forum.

Attach file:

jpg  Liberty V12 Power.jpg (170.17 KB)
226_658353b499701.jpg 640X960 px

Posted on: 12/20 15:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Liberty V12 powered Gar-Wood boat
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Wow!

Posted on: 12/20 19:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
A beautiful boat. You buy it (and, for a paltry sum, maintain it.) I think all of us on the forum will be thrilled to share a ride. My recollection is that GarWood Boats was the main competitor to Chris Craft, who had the lead in prestige.

Anyway, a beautiful boat. I had pictures of some when I was a kid.

Thanks for the post.

Phil

Posted on: 12/20 20:38
Phil
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I once owned a Gar Wood winch....

Posted on: 12/21 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
We had a ‘50s Chris Craft Cavalier for decades but it didn’t hold a candle to this huge GarWood! I image that Chris Craft did make one that was closer in specifications, though.

Posted on: 12/21 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I know the liberty as an aircraft engine but was used in marine for PT/higgins boats, etc.
I worked on one painted wooden boat and I wouldn't own one. It's a maintenance nightmare. You got to keep them wet/swelled or they leak. They look terrific with all sleek styling, chrome & brass trim, etc. but takes a crew to keep it that was. Wood - that's all they had starting off.

They used to run the 12 Merlin's & Allison's in hydro racing. I don't recall many Liberties there. I think they were passe by then. Correct me if you know. I lived on the river starting ~40 years ago and the annual hydro races would be held right outside my apartment and those old Allison's were the unlimited choice, like the miss Bud, etc. They were replaced with the tunnel turbo jets. All these race power plants have roots in the military. War's a hot bed of innovation due to the urgent necessity war creates. Brain thinks faster when bullet fly at it.
The old Cad flat 348 was dualled as Shermin tank powerplant. Interesting stuff military and early evolution of things - at least to me. So if you're trying to "soup up" and old flattie, in my opinion you're going in the wrong direction. Today HP comes easier than from yesterday. The "muscle car era" is really happening now. WE drooled over 400+ HP back in the day, '60s. Now "par" is twice that.

This could be a "gem" see below:
excerpt:
Inventor, entrepreneur, and boat racer Gar Wood set a new water speed record of 74.870 miles per hour (120.492 km/h) in 1920 in a new twin Liberty V-12 powered boat called Miss America. In the following twelve years, Wood built nine more Packard V-12 driven Miss Americas and broke the record five times, raising it to 124.860 miles per hour (200.943 km/h). He also won five straight powerboat Gold Cup races between 1917 and 1921, and the prestigious Harmsworth Trophy nine times between 1920 and 1933, at the helm of his Miss Americas.

Cf: my current 250 HP outboard bass boat runs in the lows 70s, if you like a squirrelly ride. I keep it nice and stable under 70 now - getting old. Two Packard v-12s to get to the same speed range circa 1920, aka boat anchors! ha, HA, HAAA!

Posted on: 12/22 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Enjoyed reading about your experiences in boat racing. I agree, repurposed WW-I aircraft engines were used in marine and auto racing applications. They had the power to propel boats and vehicles to record setting speeds back in the day. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think there were any Liberty engines used in PT boats. PT boats were equipped with Packard designed and built V-12s which much different than the WW-I Liberty aircraft engines. The PT boats used three engines.

Posted on: 12/22 13:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JWL wrote: Enjoyed reading about your experiences in boat racing. I agree, repurposed WW-I aircraft engines were used in marine and auto racing applications. They had the power to propel boats and vehicles to record setting speeds back in the day......

John,

I have seen two Liberty powered vehicles, one a MAB (aka Malecit et Blin), the other an about 1930 Packard Tourer re-engined with Liberty V12, I've attached a photo of the MAB, which was chain driven, unfortunately can't locate a photo of the Liberty powered Packard. Another photo I was going to post was GAR Wood's Miss America X(powered by 4 V12 Packard engines producing 7,600hp each. Quite a step up from the Liberty's 400hp!) which is resident at the Packard Proving Grounds. Can't locate the photos I took of Miss America X in 2018 when I visited the PPG, instead heres a link to a Website which has info on Gar Woods and his record breaking boats.

Seeing I'm on a Packard V12 bent, I've attached a link to an article I wrote at the time, 2014, I saw the MAB and went on to see a Packard Merlin V12(Only about 1,400hp) powered Supermarine Spitfire, a WW2 fighter aircraft, at an airshow at Temora, a country town in NSW(A State) of Australia. I'm not "tech savvy" so the Temora Aviation Museum article may or may not travel well through cyberspace!

Attach file:

jpg  Liberty V12 Powered MAB.JPG (136.49 KB)
226_6585f6d887f04.jpg 864X648 px
doc Temora Aviation Museum.doc Size: 6,684.50 KB; Hits: 88

Posted on: 12/22 16:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Stop Press!!!

Found my PPG Miss Americ X photos, see below

Click to see original Image in a new window

Also found pic's of what I remembered as a Liberty V12 powered Packard. Memory not as good as it used to be, obviously NOT a Packard(Don't know the make) but Liberty V12 powered nevertheless.

Kev, used the photo embedding feature for these pics, I really like it!

Posted on: 12/22 17:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Great! It does making telling the story easier rather than just having all the pics appended to the end.

Posted on: 12/22 17:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved