Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 168

West Peterson, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Was a 1955 Caribbean modified to make a 1956 Caribbean prototype?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That is a great photo. I believe in all the years I’ve been enjoying your posts, there have been only one or two of you!

Posted on: 1/15 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
I'm not an expert on Caribbeans, but I'm pretty sure with enough time and money to waste you could take virtually everything of aesthetic importance from a 56 and put it on a 55. As Howard alluded to, it's well known that a number of 55 cars that were sitting on lots into MY56 had some aesthetic additions, such as extra trim, to help them move off the lot (often with random accessories added too).

Adding extra trim or 1956 parts, etc. did really nothing to "move them off the lot"... but rather did a lot to reduce profit margin if the dealer truly was having troubles selling cars. SOME dealers who were enterprising dreamed up all manners of tricks to distinguish cars they were selling. Earle C. Anthony, for instance, equipped some of the V-8 Packards they sold with "Luber-Finer" oil filtration systems or GM "Autronic Eye" automatic headlight dimmers. This didn't mean they were having troubles selling cars and they were not struggling to move anything "off the lot." At least not until word got out that Packard was shutting down production.

Frankly there were some, like ECA, who simply could not get enough cars to sell!

Yes there were indeed some Packard dealers who may have had "turtles" on the lot but modifying these cars or loading them with accessories was hardly the solution to this specific problem. The real problem was trying to get mid-1950s buyers to buy Packards where there was so much rumor and subterfuge going on about the company at the time! Things back then were very, very different from today's mindset.

Posted on: 1/15 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
When it comes to V8 Caribbeans, underseat heater equipment was standard for 55th only. Though initially offered as standard for 56th, it was later withdrawn. I don't know the whole story, but crunch has one with, IIRC.

The late Randy Berger posted this photo of a Caribbean with underseat heater and if you are an owner of a Caribbean with underseat heater it may be your car.

I would think the reason the heater was not available in 56 Caribbeans is with the change to the open seat frame, lack of a hiding structure presented a problem. Unless a new heater or a change to some kind of sheetmetal with a more finished look was added to hide the heater box and protect the core, IMO it would be very vulnerable to damage and definitely not up to Packard esthetic standards for a high end car. In the scheme of things and with the other problems they had in 56, a second heater for a low production model was probably not a very high priority item so it was dropped and a different heater was maybe intended to be back later.

As to being damaged, expect many kids were like my brother and I in 56. If we were bored, confined in the back seat, and not being carefully watched, if presented with such an intriguing item like that core with all the little holes I could only imagine what mischief we would have tried doing with it.

Attach file:

jpg  56Carib Underseat heater.jpg (114.09 KB)
209_65a5e0bd5973f.jpg 756X426 px

Posted on: 1/15 21:03
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here's a more up to date photo of the elusive Leeedy. Well 2018, that's as up-to-date as I have, when I met Leeedy and he autographed a copy of his book about Creative Industries in the Society of Automotive Historian's tent at Hershey.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Leon, if you don't want your "mug shot" appearing in PackardInfo just say the word and I'll delete the post in it's entirety.

Posted on: 1/16 2:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regarding the underseat heater on the 5699s (convertibles), the factory build slips indicate that only 3, #s 1096, 1119 and 1230 were so equipped.

Posted on: 1/16 11:25
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Regarding the underseat heater on the 5699s (convertibles), the factory build slips indicate that only 3, #s 1096, 1119 and 1230 were so equipped.

Be interesting to know what part of the country those cars were destined for. With the numbers in known cars installed and presumed later production of the higher numbers it would seem to indicate that maybe the heater was never officially dropped in Caribbeans.

Being a convertible it might be a nice thought in colder areas to have a heater for rear seat passengers riding in spring or fall in cars with the top down. Could also be a customer or dealer might have ordered a fully equipped car by description only without maybe ever seeing the heater installed.

Much as it pains me to say it Cadillac again did Packard one step better with a rear seat heater. Like the multiple side AC air duct outlets in the headliner for their passengers Cadillac first implemented in 54 instead of having only the neck chillers Packard used, they also had unobtrusive rear seat heating in their higher end cars. That was provided by adding ducts built into the doors where hot air directed from special openings in the front heater was picked up to be distributed via outlets in the doors at floor level on both sides of the rear seat area.

Posted on: 1/16 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, the selling dealerships for those 3 cars were in Pennsylvania, Texas, and Ohio respectively.

During the coldest parts of the winter here in NJ, the single underdash heater in my 1956 Caribbean convertible was just marginally competent.

Posted on: 1/16 15:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Leeedy, I think the concept study Miata with you in the photo is most attractive. I had a series one Miata and currently lusting over the latest models, especially the RF. It would have been interesting if Mazda would have produced this special one. But, why the need? They were selling the ones in production as fast as they could. Maybe an after market body kit. It would be an easy conversion. Thanks for sharing this non-Packard.

Posted on: 1/16 17:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

I have discovered over a lifetime of keeping records on these cars that factory build slips are merely factory build slips.

Cars that were actually in the marketplace, out on the street or even with dealerships and distributors sometimes differed. Some were changed after the factory orders were filed (these came over a Telex at Conner Avenue). These changes took place at factory prep, distributors, dealerships. And then there were customers who insisted additions/changes at delivery or after delivery. These were Packard customers (most accustomed to being catered to by dealers) in an era of when you ordered a car rather than taking "the blue one or red one" simply because they were pre-ordered and sitting on the lot– like today. And Caribbeans were the creme-de-la-creme of V8 Packards. Therefore, someone buying one of these cars new was not merely a generic "John Q. Customer."

I had a 1956 Caribbean hardtop with factory underseat heater. I have inspected others that were likewise so equipped.

But yes, officially underseat heaters were not standard equipment on 1956 Caribbeans. One of the reasons (and a Packard engineer told me this) was the difference in the seat design and issues related to it.

Posted on: 1/18 15:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

Be interesting to know what part of the country those cars were destined for. With the numbers in known cars installed and presumed later production of the higher numbers it would seem to indicate that maybe the heater was never officially dropped in Caribbeans.

Being a convertible it might be a nice thought in colder areas to have a heater for rear seat passengers riding in spring or fall in cars with the top down. Could also be a customer or dealer might have ordered a fully equipped car by description only without maybe ever seeing the heater installed.

Much as it pains me to say it Cadillac again did Packard one step better with a rear seat heater. Like the multiple side AC air duct outlets in the headliner for their passengers Cadillac first implemented in 54 instead of having only the neck chillers Packard used, they also had unobtrusive rear seat heating in their higher end cars. That was provided by adding ducts built into the doors where hot air directed from special openings in the front heater was picked up to be distributed via outlets in the doors at floor level on both sides of the rear seat area.

Hello...

Sorry. While 1954-56 Cadillacs had a lovely heating system (I rode in a new 1954 convertible regularly... IN Detroit... during winters and summers) the HVAC system couldn't hold a candle to Packard. The very idea of venting A/C via the roof was great for freezing heads. Not so great for cooling. This was well proven on 1956-57 Continental Mark II (I have one and two neighbors bought Mark IIs new).

Packard's 1955-56 theater ventilation approach was light years ahead of Cadillac dinosauric trunk systems and others, except for Pontiac. We can see just by looking at history just how on-target Packard's approach was.

Posted on: 1/18 16:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved