Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 235

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Steering play and a hot under dash light bulb unit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
My "new" 1940 Packard 160 (model 1377) has a lot of steering play - about six inches. I think it's too much and have started looking for a rebuilt steering box. Does anybody have any experience (including diagrams, etc,) installing a rebuilt unit and how much play is still acceptable. Right now it feels like I have to anticipate the turns in the road rather than drive properly!

Also, I have a metal light bulb unit below the dash and to the right of the steering column that gets very hot to the touch. Based on my reading of the manuals it seems that it might be the econo-drive indicator but I thought this indicator goes on at about 22 miles per hour and does not stay lit when the car is at rest. This light goes on when I start the car and stays lit. The entire unit holding it, which is made of metal, gets very hot. I am very concerned as to why this unit gets so hot. Is something wrong here? There is a knob between the steering column and the light which looks like it may be the econo-drive control. I am attaching a picture of that light assembly. (not sure if I am attaching properly)

Thanks for any help!

Attach file:

jpg  (66.86 KB)
2010_4afa315346e3c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering play and a hot under dash light bulb unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My "new" 1940 Packard 160 (model 1377) has a lot of steering play - about six inches. I think it's too much and have started looking for a rebuilt steering box

You seem to suggest that the gear box is the assumed source of the excess play. I'd suggest before you start considering a rebuilt steering gear box you take a little time and determine the cause of the excess play, there can be several sources of it and of course if more than 1, they are additive; even if the gear box is a source, perhaps a simple adjustment is required, not replacement. My suggestion would be to start by jacking up the front end, using some jackstands for safety, and having someone knowledgeable look underneath while you crank the wheel back and forth.

Sorry, can't help with the other question.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 23:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That item heating up under the dash looks like an illuminated aftermarket type heater/defroster switch that might be missing a knob. If it is and on, there is a rheostat which can get quite warm. I believe the econo drive light is up near the speedometer in the dimming switch for instrument lights.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 23:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree with Dave (Owen) on the steering. There are lots of things that can cause play in the steering. Basically is the front end is off the ground, you should see the front wheels move as soon at the steering wheel turns.

If someone holds the steering wheel firm, and you can can move the front wheels then you may have play in the steering linkage/suspension/box etc. You should not be able to turn the steering wheel without the front wheels moving and vice versa.

Make sure the steering box has fluid in it. Also there is an adjustment on the top of the steering box which can be used to take up any play in the steering box gearing. Download the service manual for more information.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 0:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
George40 wrote:.......My "new" 1940 Packard 160 (model 1377)........

G'day George,
Like to you and your '40 to PackardInfo.

Concerning the excessive play in the steeering, one thing that improved things for my '41 120 1495 were new radial tyres. The difference experienced with the radial tyres on is quite noticeable with wandering reduced considerably.

And about the econo-drive, the light in my '41 is at the bottom of the instrument panel and not mounted below the dash. Don't know if it's the same or similar for your '40.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 5:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
After you have checked the othe other sources, particularly the pivot for the big idler arm in the center of the frame, you can useually adjust a lot of play out of the gear.

On gears through 47, you will need to pull the pitman arm, take the top cover off, and extract the roller asssembly. It pulls right out. Remove a few shims from where the shaft sits in the housing and reassemble. Tighten down the pusher screw on the top til it is just touching with the wheels straight ahead. Try it and repeat if necessary. Put in a new pitman seal while you are there

Posted on: 2009/11/11 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Do not put radial tires on until you have exhausted fixing or replacing everything else up front. Once your "house is in order" you will find out there is no reason to have radial tires. Check king pins, tie rods and, as mentioned, the steering box has adjustments. If the steering box adjustment is already maxed out, I believe you can install washers or shims to continue to make more adjustments.

The center steering link (located directly under the radiator) is many times the main problem for steering problems. It cannot be replaced without removing the radiator. It is often frozen, with possible other damage as well. Grease monkeys (hired from Brand X companies) in the day were not aware that this joint needs to be lubricated regularly, so it often froze in place.

The overdrive light on a 1940 Packard should be above the instruments in the round knob that looks like the glove box knob. These are often offered on eBay. I don't know if someone has reproduced them or what, but I see them offered a lot.

The knob to the left of the light is indeed your Econo-drive. In the "in" position, it is engaged. Pull out to disengage. Read up on how to use it, as you don't want to push in or push out while the car is moving unless you know exactly when to do it.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 10:08
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There's several reason why I'd put radials on an old car, and safety's the first. Radial tires give you so much more control of the car as compared to bias ply. You have more of the tire contacting the road as compared to bias ply.

But don't take my word for it, try Michelin's: Bias ply Vs Radial

Posted on: 2009/11/11 11:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Thanks very much to all for your prompt response, shared experience and advice.

We had the car on the lift last week to check the steering linkages, shims, suspension and steering wheel play vs the front wheel movement. We made the adjustment at the top of the box. The fluid in the box was low and dirty so we took care of that as well but after all that the steering still had a lot of play. I will go over all your suggestions to make sure we have not missed anything and will keep on plugging!!

Thanks also for the observations on the unit that is heating up under the dash. It may well be an add-on switch of some sort but I can't find anyway to turn it off and it burns if you touch it when the car is running. I see the wires coming into the back of the little unit but no switching mechanism so I will have to continue my detective work!!

Thanks to all. Any more thoughts are very welcome!

Attach file:

jpg  (82.75 KB)
2010_4afb01b757d40.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/11/11 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That picture looks like it was taken at Hyman Ltd.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 14:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved