Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

BigKev, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Help a new Packard owner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A VERY nice decription of servicing the packing. Well said!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 10:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
David, I look forward to your writeup and accompanying pictures!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 10:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mr. DeMille
See User information
Just a side note. My '36 120b runs about 175f at 50-55mph. 180f in normal street traffic I usually keep it under 60mph on the freeway. Of course here in Southern California you are lucky if you can go 55mph with all the traffic..

Posted on: 2010/8/10 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Thanks for your description of the trip home. While not uneventful, accommodation availability being outside your control and running hot in the summer heat being experienced by many others, your resolve in undertaking and carrying out this adventure will be an inspiration to many. A trip of that length certainly provides a very real opportunity to get to know your Packard.

I say, well done!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 16:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Congratulations on a successful and relatively troublefree trip. A leaking waterpump reminds one it is a 74 year old car, but no major failures or inconveniences demonstrates its a good mechanically strong one.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't find lodging conveniently when you sought it. It's always difficult to know beforehand where to make reservations on an adventure. I would have been nice to take a more leisurely tour better rested.

Keep us posted on your progress with that sweet 120B!

Steve

Posted on: 2010/8/10 17:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Well everything is going pretty well since I added some more graphite packing to the waterpump. I had to go to the hardware store to get it in the plumbing isle. I also installed a new thermostat (160' one) it still runs around 175-180' though. If I try to drive it any faster than 60 mph it starts to heat up so 50-55 it is. Is there anything else I should check???? I also am wondering about the oil change? What is the oil I should use? Does it need to contain zinc?

I was going through all of the literature that the previous owner gave me and it has a set of blueprints for the car a service manual and parts list.

Why did they make it with a soft top in the center of the roof????

It was originally sold to a professor in Brooklyn, N.Y. Narrows Motor Corporation of 223 60th Street, Brooklyn, N.Y. in March of 1936.

I haven't been able to wipe the smile off of my face while driving this wonderful automobile.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.57 KB)
2745_4c65af99b255e.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (72.41 KB)
2745_4c65afab195dd.jpg 1024X479 px

jpg  (65.79 KB)
2745_4c65afb79af74.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/8/13 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
John, glad you and the Packard made it home in good shape.

Regarding the oil: I suggest that you first drain the oil, remove the pan, and clean the pan and screen. These engines collect sludge and it must be removed periodically. If your engine has an oil filter change this at the same time as you change oil.

Insofar as an oil to use, you will get many suggestions from owners based on their experiences. You can evaluate these suggestions and make your decision.

My '37 Six and '47 Clipper Custom both have Classic Car Motor Oil (15W-40) in them. This oil has higher zinc content than currently available in oils on the market plus other additives better suited to older design engines with flat tappets. It can be purchased from the a CCCA region. It is probably over kill, but it makes me feel better.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/13 16:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Thanks for the info on the oil. Would the Lucas breakin Oil with added zinc do the trick??

Posted on: 2010/8/13 16:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,
for including your '36 One Twenty Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.
Quote:

John H New York wrote:......I haven't been able to wipe the smile off of my face while driving this wonderful automobile.

Know what you mean.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 16:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Yes, you will get as many opinions as responses on the oil. Recently, a petroleum engineer lead a discussion on blends and additives in oils currently on the market. I won't bore you with the detailed minutia - the net result is oil today is far greater than what was available 70 years ago. The GENERAL consensus is to run 15w-40 (diesel) oil with an true SG rating. (Shell Rotella-T is commonly available) Some 15w-40's have it, some don't - you need to understand the SAE rating circle on the container, like knowing how to read the sidewall of a tire. And yes, do exactly as JW says periodically to pull the pan and check/clean the screen, especially if your car is not equipped with an optional oil filter.
...and please...start shopping for a correct speedometer. The 37 Chevy one in there now just pains me to look at it...

Oh, and the common opinion on the insert in the roof was limitations on manufacturing the roof in one piece, then how to brace...fast forward to 1938 for the resolution on that.

DAF

Posted on: 2010/8/13 23:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved