Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 1st time startup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I ran a standard NAPA generic v8 set (its the navy blue wire with the orange boots) that wasn't solid core with both points and the pertronix setup. It ran great both ways. I'm about to run solid core with the pertronix just because i wanted the cloth wire look. I don't see any reason you couldn't run normal spark plug wires.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 0:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Christopher Klapp
See User information
OK, got to spend a few hours out in the garage this evening, here's what I have to report. Great spark to all eight cylinders. Buddy of mine has a cool little spark tester. Nice and blue, easily bridging 3/8". I tried to disconnect the throttle linkage, but the starter wouldn't engage. Not sure why? Hooked the linkage back up, engaged fine. Does that linkage somehow act as a ground for the solenoid? accelerator pump squirts fuel just fine. Float/needle and seat seems to be working.

Completed compression test and lubed each cylinder. Numbers are as follows:

#1 7psi
#2 50psi
#3 45psi
#4 5psi
#5 2psi
#6 3psi
#7 5psi
#8 10psi

Not looking to good, Wet test yielded absolutely no change, so I'm thinking maybe stuck valves? I've heard some people say to put ATF down the carb throat and spin it, to get them free. Not sure about that. Mebbe put some in each cylinder and let it sit for a week, then try turning it over. If it doesn't improve compression then pull the lifter cover and look to see if valves are touching the lifters?

Any advice on how to proceed?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 22:41
~Chris

US Army, Bringing Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it!

53 Clipper Deluxe Club Sedan Sportster (63,000 mile survivor)
56 Clipper Custom Constellation Coupe
Other Stuff---
To much to list, not enough room!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Awfully strange all 8 cylinders would have stuck valves. I think I'd pull one of the lifter chamber covers and see what is actually happening. 2 bolts per cover and you can see what is moving or not moving. 51's you could pull the right tire and remove a few screws holding an access panel for easy reach. Assume that panel was still there on the 53.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 23:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Christopher Klapp
See User information
Looks like my 53 has that same cover in the wheelwell. I'll do that tonight. Not sure what exactly to make of the overall lack of compression. Called my Dad last night, he was stumped too. He clearly remembers driving that car. No worries though, I have a lifetime to tinker with it.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 8:57
~Chris

US Army, Bringing Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of those who threaten it!

53 Clipper Deluxe Club Sedan Sportster (63,000 mile survivor)
56 Clipper Custom Constellation Coupe
Other Stuff---
To much to list, not enough room!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Skymangs wrote:
...I tried to disconnect the throttle linkage, but the starter wouldn't engage. Not sure why?...

The starter switch is actually located on the carburetor so if the linkage is disconnected, so is the switch. You can read more about how the switch functions here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5872&forum=2&post_id=62348#forumpost62348

Posted on: 2010/12/1 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
On my 50, when you push the gas down all the way, there are two wires on the carb base that are connected by a little vacuum switch built in the base. If the throttle linkage isn't connected, when you push the pedal down, nothing changes at the carb end and so it won't roll over.

I don't know what year they stopped that or if yours rolls over with just the key.

Also, did you do the compression test with the choke and throttle blades OPEN? If they're closed, the cylinders won't get air and you'll get an abnormally low reading (although it's usually like 30-50% low, not 99%).

If you have to, open the choke gently by hand and open the throttle blades and put something in there to hold them open, but don't force it so it doesn't bend anything. OR you can take the carb off and be done with it.

Of course if you have a carb style switch, disconnect it as it will start rolling over if the key is on and the throttle is open. Then i'd leave the key on, unplug the coil wire from the cap, and use those two wires as my remote starter switch.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know what year they stopped that or if yours rolls over with just the key.

I believe that 1954 was the first year for key-actuated starter; thus 1953 would have been the last for the Carter carburetor-mounted switch.

Posted on: 2010/12/1 10:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You are correct Dave. '54 was the first year for a "Key-Start".

Posted on: 2010/12/1 12:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Fred,
Good point about the neighborhood "house warming"!
Much earlier in my "mechanical life" I rebuilt the engine on a '65 Cadillac in a friend's garage. It ran pretty well after the rebuild but not quite right so I tackled the timing and the carb at the same time. If I remember right, I got the carb kit from Kanter's and everything fit beautifully! The timing issue is another story.
I dumped a load of gasoline down the carb's throat and without replacing the air cleaner; hit the switch. The result was a "Cheery Blaze" like you described that was enjoyed by (almost)one and all. The good news was I had a fire extinguisher. The bad news is that is was the wrong kind and made the top of the engine look like I'd hit it with whipped cream.
After I bought a new carb, I did as you rightly suggested and after a little timing adjustment had a great running engine.
The old adage of "Haste Makes Waste" is never truer than when working on cars.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/12/1 12:18
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Fire extinguishers may come and go, but even stale marshmallows roast well on a Packard carburetor fire.

fred

Posted on: 2010/12/1 12:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved