Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

DavidPackard, R H, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Chasing Rough idle...compression?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fred kanter writes:
"Suggest you look in the other forum for my quotation from the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. I posted it and it got no comment. "

Which other forum???? AACA or PAC forum??? There may be many of us that do not frequent those forums or maybe don't even know about them.

I would like to read it. Not sure where it is. IF u mean in some other THREAD or topic of THIS forum then perhaps we should all go back and read it but at this point i'm not sure what quotation from the service manual u are refering to./

Posted on: 2011/5/26 19:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Although we seem to be running off course somewhat, just so we know what's caught the collective imagination here's a pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.67 KB)
226_4ddf067bb8776.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/5/26 21:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
LMAO! Nice pic!

At least the heat shield is on that one, they're usually gone!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Should I dare thread into this, why not? Fuel supply systems are most susceptible to vapor lock in the unpressurized part of the system. That is, the line from the tank to the pump, for those systems without an electric fuel pump. The line from the outlet of the pump to the carburetor is the most unlikely part of the system to experience vapor locking. Fuel in the carburetor, which is not under pressure, can easily vaporize due to heat coming up from the engine. Locating an electric fuel pump as close to the gas tank is so that as much of the fuel supply system will be under pressure as possible. This is not because, as commonly believed, an electric fuel pump functions better as a pusher. It's late and I need to go to bed. Good night and count your clothes pins instead of sheep. Zzzzzzz...

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/26 22:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
NICE PHOTO THERE, OZSTATMAN.

Just as history is constantly being rewritten, so too is ther interpretation of this photo. It is well known that during his early days in LA, Jay Leno lived in his '55 Buick. Elvis did hard miles in his pink '56 Caddy. With time and funds tight they dried their underpants and socks this way.

YUp, truth is stranger than fiction!!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well gents I think we have beat this dead horse enough. Lets use the clothes pins to hold your place in the manuals and be done with it, and move on to better topics.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Packard V8:

My error, it was in THIS forum and in THIS topic. Scroll backwards to post #15. You made posts 11, 12, and 19.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE SERVICE MANUAL.

To BIGKEV: Good call

Posted on: 2011/5/27 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

It is well known that during his early days in LA, Jay Leno lived in his '55 Buick. Elvis did hard miles in his pink '56 Caddy. With time and funds tight they dried their underpants and socks this way.

YUp, truth is stranger than fiction!!

My grandfather said during WWII, they would use metal wire to hold cans of beans, etc to the exhaust manifold with a few holes in the top and when they got to the other side of the base to relieve someone on guard and gave them the jeep, their food would be good and hot. Some good use for that extra heat under the hood after all!

Posted on: 2011/5/27 10:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
Getting back to the original thread, I would perform a running compression test on this engine. Cranking compression test measures the result of gross cylinder sealing & cam timing. A running test compares each cylinders' ability to "breath" at idle.

Run the engine until it reaches operating temp & shut down. Screw compression gauge into a plug hole & ground that cyl plug wire. Start & idle the eng- release gauge press then watch it build. Do this several times & note the highest reading & how long it takes to build.

Repeat this procedure on all cylinders. You want to compare all cyl to each other. Since eng is compressing fuel/air mixture at 18" of [vacuum] or so, your reading is going to be about 1/3 of your cranking result. This test helps to find intermittant exhaust valve problems. A worn guide or rusty/carboned up valve stem will usually deal fine at cranking speed, but act up when moving faster & hot.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Did some quick adjustments and testing yesterday (got dwell correct at 26*, believe point gap was .017)

Idled slightly better. Took the air cleaner off the carb after it was warm, choke butterfly straight up and down. Can adjust mixture screws in until it wants to die (more) but coming out doesn't make much of a difference. Adjusted time slightly after dwell, but never got vacuum above 12-13 with mixture screws or anything.

Interesting note? Before shutting it down just out of curiosity, i manually played with the choke. Closing it most of the way (maybe 1/4" air gap before closed?) brought the idle up slightly and smoothed right out. Idle was hanging at around 750-800 rpm when doing this, and running smoother than when the motor is just reved to 800 rpm when warm. Adjusting the mixture screws out to richen the mixture did nothing, so i shut it off and put it away.

Unless we bring timing into the mix (mech advance starts at 600 i believe, so 800 was there.) i'm really leaning towards the carb. I have to take the other manifold apart and reman it, the replacement carb is here. Within the next few weeks i'll do the manifold swap (very short on time lately) and we'll see for sure.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 18:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved