Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Brake drums wont come off suggestions?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
i'm guessing 41 is probably different, but my 55 clipper took the one you can rent from autozone just fine.

Hank

Not sure when they changed the bolt pattern, but on my '37, the bolt pattern is about 1" too large in diameter to use the Autozone puller.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 18:28
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The studs pull back the rim of the brake drum until it pops off the center.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
After you start turning the wheel puller, it pulls back the rim. How far do you go? Just imagine the lips of a horse laughing before it actually pops.

That's interesting. On the drums I'm familiar with, the tapered hub the bolts thread into and pull off is a fairly substantial forging and the thinner drum is just riveted to that. If the drum flexed that much on those, I'd hate to see what was happening to the flange on the hub the drum is riveted to.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 19:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Forgings do not bend appreciably. I have never seen a drum rim budge at all let alone look like horses lips parting. The force of a puller is on the studs/bolts which in turn pull on the forged hub. There is no force placed on the rim of the drum or for that matter on any part of the drum. If a drum were distorted like this it would be permanently damaged and unusable.

I do not believe this occurs.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 20:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Thank you for all the replies, do the front have to us a puller as well?

Posted on: 2011/6/14 6:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Usually no, just back off the adjuster, remove the nut, washer and outer bearing and the brake drum should come off without too much effort.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 7:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
OK, everyone stay calm. Just sharing my experience. The rim doesn't bend back like the rubber cover on the overdrive solenoid.

When you're pulling a drum on a big car that hasn't had it done for a very long time, its hard to believe the drum can handle the amount of force the wheel puller puts on it and still not come off. And it does seem like it will break before it will come off, but it will come off , and with such a very loud bang, like a 30.06, that neighbors may come over to investigate. Not Everyone's neighbors may come over, but that was my experience.

A little hyperbole is good for the soul. Follow the instructions of the more knowledgeable guides on this forum, but keep my experience in the back of your mind. Your drums may slide right off, but you may reach the point where you feel the rims of the drum are bent back like a mule laughing. Stay with it because they will pop off.

Joe

Posted on: 2011/6/14 9:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Martin's Auto Body Resto
See User information
Sometimes if you have an adjustment you can back off the adjustment and bring the shoes closer together. Most of the time the drums will have an edge on them from wear, that catches the edges of the brake shoes and hang up severely.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 20:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Thanks for all the replies guys brakes are done as of this morning, had the rotors turned to ensure smooth braking... Stops on a dime now... On a different note I had 3 brake pads cracked, is that due to age?

Thanks again..

Posted on: 2011/6/15 11:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The shoe linings were cracked, or the actual shoe frame was cracked?

Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved