Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'55 autronic eye system
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I posted a picture of my dash in my project a few weeks ago that started a discussion about the autronic eye system in my '55 400. Here are some pics. Is this a factory system or aftermarket? The dash bezel seems to match the rest of the letter type. Any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (34.17 KB)
633_48362a35d2a2a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (52.95 KB)
633_48362a46871ba.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (64.97 KB)
633_48362a53cb959.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  (58.66 KB)
633_48362a61938e0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/5/22 21:22
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 autronic eye system
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I vote that it is either aftermarket or some demanding customer persuaded a dealer to install it. I see that the handle always covers up part of the label "AUTRONIC EYE". I doubt that Packard would have designed this. Perhaps the lever could not be thrown all the way when it is pointed down so it was reversed for clearance?? I would wager that GM also trademarked the term "AUTRONIC EYE".

Posted on: 2008/5/22 23:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'd have to agree with Randy.

There are NO references whatsoever to such an option in the factory accessory brochures, shop manual, or parts book. My guess is that it was adapted by a dealer under pressure to close a deal on the vehicle. Though there are plenty of stories about what Packard would do to make a sale, you'd be surprised what some dealers did.

Introduced in 1952 and available into the 1960s (though the name changed to Guide-matic by then), the Autronic Eye was available across all division of GM, and the design of the phototube change annually to match contours of the top of the instrument panel. So, there's a good chance that a Packard dealer, back in 1955-56, could find something that fit.

Though it's not "authentic to your car, the installation appears to be well-done - might as well keep it.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree. Just the geometry of the knobs on the dash would seem to indicate a non-Packard installation. I Googled the following fromhttp://www.futurliner.com/autronic.htm

...The next clue to check the serial number printed on a paper sticker on the amplifier. If the amplifier was mounted under the hood of the car for a long time the tag maybe deteriorated and fell off. The phototube had a metal tag in the years 1952 through 59 and a paper tag between the phototube and mounting in 1960 through 66. The serial number consists of nine digits. The first digit indicated the division this unit was sent to. The second and third digits indicated what year the unit when into. The remaining 6 digits indicated the serial number starting with number one. If you run across a very high number starting with the 100,000 range, this means there may have been a minor mid year production change.
Here is a breakdown of the model and serial numbers as they apply to the various car lines;
156 000001 Chevrolet
256 000001 Pontiac
356 000001 Oldsmobile
456 000001 Buick
556 000001 Cadillac
857 000001 Lincoln. An "A" will follow the serial number 1964 and up
864 000001-B Mercury
864 000001-C Ford
756 000001 Warrant Replacement.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Apparently at least one 55 or 56 Packard is known to have been legitimately equipped with GM's Autronic eye. The car was the subject of an article in an old "Packard Cormorant" publication which I can't seem to lay my hands on at the moment, but it was a good 20 years ago I think. If I remember, an influential dealer, perhaps a stockholder or company director like Earle C. Anthony, insisted on it. I don't recall if that article included a copy of the factory invoice or not, but I'm pretty certain that I do recall that it was installed at Detroit, not by the dealer.

Actually, a GM accessory item installed at the factory, while certainly uncommon, isn't unheard of. GM Guide Division's "Traffic Light Viewer" was a factory option, and Packard had Delco's "Wonderbar Radio" one year before it became available on GM cars.

At some point I'll no doubt come across that article again and when I locate it I'll try to remember to post it here.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 8:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

rockola404
See User information
Judging from the photographs, you have an autronic eye system from a 1955 Oldsmobile. I am making this observation from the photograph showing the headlight bezel. There should be four main components, the large black box amplifier. The phototube housing on the dashboard. A power relay close to the amplifier. And a special separate floor switch to manually flashed a high beam headlights. An Oldsmobile only item is the special headlight switch. On the bottom of the phototube housing there is an aluminum tag, more than likely the first three numbers is 355xxxxxx the first number would indicate a division of General Motors. The second and third number will indicate the year. The remaining numbers is the production number only. To the bus my knowledge Packard never offered and automatic headlight to make system. But if anybody has any information or photographs I would be very interested to see them.
I broke several articles about automatic headlight dimming systems are General Motors offered. Here's my cellular number (815)-291-4384 thank you so much, john

Posted on: 2009/1/8 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
You have described pretty much everything on My packard pertaining to the system. I have 2 headlight dimmer switches on the floor. I also have a large black box on the firewall stamped "Autronic" and a relay mounted on the firewall next to it. I have unmounted them off the firewall for cleaning and the paint on the firewall underneath was shiny & new looking. I think it has been on the car since new. Is there a possibility that the Packard dealer installed it from an over the counter kit from Oldsmobile/Chevy? I think someone on the list here claimed to have heard customers requesting the system and Packard dealers installing them to satisfy demand.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
A lot of people have forgotten that factory-authorized accessories and accessories offered by dealers were two different animals. There were several Packard dealers that offered GM/Delco's Autronic Eye- even though it was not in the salesman's book of official accessories.

Earle C. Anthony offered these units in 1955-56 and possibly earlier as their own accessory. I bought a 56 Patrician many years ago from an old lady in Hollywood and it was equipped with Autronic Eye. She hated it because she could not understand how it worked and got stopped by the LAPD for flashing her headlights at them (the unit was not adjusted properly)! They also sold a vacuum ashtray accessory as well. So did other dealers. I had both a '55 and a '56 Four Hundred so equipped with the ashtray.

One of my 1956 Caribbeans came with a GM/Delco Autronic Eye laying in a box in the trunk. It had never been installed but was painted to match the vehicle interior.

Also there was the Packard Esquire (as written up years ago in the Packard Club's Cormorant magazine). These rare cars also featured Autronic Eye.

And GM sold the Autronic Eye unit- as an accessory in general as well as official dealer and factory-installed options. You could buy a whole Autronic Eye kit through a Delco Electric dealer.

Eventually, these units came with a special 3-position floor-mounted headlight headlight dimmer switch which eliminated the need for two switches.

So. There is every possibility that your car had this item installed when new.

I understand that Packard had planned to have this feature anyway for 1957. Lincoln, Imperial, Continental as well as several GM cars would have it. Ford and Chrysler licensed their units from GM anyway into the 1960s.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, heck, as long as we've got an expert here, I just have to ask about that Packard Esquire.

I Googled it, and found the following link:

http://www.duricy.com/~imperialist/warren/warren_18.html

It comes complete with a "never-heard-of-such-a-thing" comment from someone.

Why have I never in all these years heard of the Esquire? Was it kind of a pre-Executive experiment or what? No pics of back or interior found, just the 3/4 front view in the linked pic.

Please enlighten us further!

(Lots and lots of really nice pics of many models on that site; really glad to share it with those who have not seen it.)

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wasnt the Esquire a conversion/custom done by a single dealer and not an officially sanctioned Packard model?

Posted on: 2009/2/8 23:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved