Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Camshafts for the 288cu & 327cu...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi all,

I will be having a 288 and a 327 (both "H" engines) engine(s) rebuilt. I know that there was a thread somewhere from a man who was asking about casmshafts. ...I can't recall which engines. But I can't find the thread.

Anyway, the user was talking about re-using the cams, and asked if there were any alternatives. I talked to Max Merrit, and they only have regrinds, and that they would have to order. Are there any other sources out there for camshafts?

I'm a little unsure about how regrinds work. If they "regrind it" to smooth out the lobes, wouldn't you loose lift and duration? I think that I understand that they would grind the base circle, so would this would make the lobe the same lift/duration relative to the base circle.

I'm just wondering what my options are, and which is preferable. ...re-use, re-grind or are there any NOS cams out there?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/16 14:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Camshafts for the 288cu & 327cu...
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have use several regrinds with great results. Typically, only a small amount of material is removed and they do maintain the overall lift and duration. Original NOS are almost impossible to come by.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 20:03
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Curious why you think you need to do anything to the cams. They are not remotely trouble prone and I wouldn't do a thing unless a lifter, or several had funny wear or pitting. If so then any good regrinder should be able to take them back to stock profile, although the lobes will be slightly smaller when they are done.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll have to agree Ross. If the original cam looks ok then just use it.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 20:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Ok. When I've had V-8's rebuilt in the past, I just went with a new cam and lifters. ...but those were readily available.

I thought that I read that only the surface of the lobes were hardened. So I figured that grinding them down, would expose a non-hardened surface.

Thanks for the input!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Redpath
See User information
Hi,
I noticed an old thread and thought you might be able to help.
I am looking for cam specs for a 359 and can't seem to find lift specs anywhere. Did you run across these anywhere in your search for info.Thanks

Posted on: 2012/8/23 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
0.342, both inlet and exhaust. See Engine specifications in the 1954 Service Counselors.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL28NO4.pdf

Posted on: 2012/8/23 7:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Redpath,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your 359 equipped Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/8/23 14:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I have a guy who regrinds Packard cams for me. They work just as well as OEM in every respect.

If you have trouble finding someone locally, I can usually get him to turn them around in two weeks. You can ship the cam to me in a length of plastic pipe from the hardware store.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

azclassiccoach
See User information
I had pitting on my 327 cam so i sent it to isky cams in california www.iskycams.com, they inspected it and polished it, it came back looking brand new. I think think with shipping and everything it was like 80 bucks.

Posted on: 2012/8/27 8:32
Mike
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved