Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

motor dies when using overdrive.
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Our 1940 110 with overdrive drives like a dream. Absoulty no issues. Except; When the car is in overdrive, approching a stop the motor dies. The car restarts immediatly and is fine untill the next stop sign.
When the car is out of overdrive the problem does not occur.
There is no change in idle speed in or out of overdrive.
Any suggestion as to the cause?
thank You
John Miller

Posted on: 2012/11/14 20:23
 Top  Print   

Re: motor dies when using overdrive.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the R9 OD I would temporarily disconnect the ground out wire either from the coil or from terminal 2 of the OD relay and see if the problem is still present. The relay or solenoid contact could be hanging.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
thanks will try and let you know.
John

Posted on: 2012/11/14 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, move this to prewar section for better exposure?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/14 23:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, that ground out connection from the relay contact to the distributor is designed to kill the ignition momentarily, but the contact can hang up and, in my case, stick so I didn't get any ignition at all (until this was pointed out).

Another cause might be malfunction or adjustment of the Throttle Guard (dash pot) on the carburetor, if a 110 has one. Mine is a Super 8 Stromberg AAV-26 which should have one but doesn't (haven't been able to find one). But I don't have the problem you're describing.

The throttle guard prevents the car from dying due to lack of fuel when the OD drops to free-wheeling (I think). So perhaps the carburetor idle adjustment needs to be upped to compensate.

I someone has a Throttle Guard for sale, I'd be interested.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.86 KB)
1067_50a4e7fa54438.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (82.79 KB)
1067_50a4e87e1a5a9.jpg 1000X778 px

Posted on: 2012/11/15 8:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm afraid I can't be of much help, technically, but wanted to commend you on your wonderful compostion of the ODdashpotweb.jpg image, above. It's another example of how a picture is worth a thousand words.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I would also consider the condition of the governor switch. The design of the switch has an intentional difference in the engagement vs. disengagement speeds. I am wondering if your governor swtich is keeping the car in OD to a severly low speed. Can you tell, when decelerating, the moment and speed at which the OD disengages? This can usually be detected by the solenoid click and if on an downward incline, you can feel the car begin to freewheel.

As a means to test this possible root cause, take the car for a drive, allow overdrive to engage. Then when decelerating to a stop, gently pull the OD cable out just enough to open the contacts of the cable lockout switch. This will open the circtuit causing, OD to disengage. If you come happily to the stop without stall, I would suspect the governor switch. If you do, I would then consider replacing the cap switch or at least opening the switch up and cleaning the governor weight mechanism.

I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This discussion thread needs to be in the prewar section.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/11/19 22:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The mystical throttle guard is indeed an unusual beast. In later years, I believe they were called dash pots. Regardless, the throttle guard bracket differs between years and engines, though the throttle guard is the same. I have reproduced the brackets for the 120 and 356 engines, as shown. $25 each plus a few bucks for shipping. Sorry, John, I have not repro'd the 1800 bracket.

DAF

Attach file:

jpg  (99.54 KB)
439_50aefcb8e9d29.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (103.58 KB)
439_50aefccca183a.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/11/22 23:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ronaldg
See User information
The service bulletins discuss this and talk about cleaning and adjusting the points on the 6-pole relay. Also, after 1941 they no longer used the throttle guard and is not listed in the parts books.

Posted on: 2012/11/25 13:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved