Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Packard 110 Coupe - Electrical:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Recently purchased a 1940 110 Coupe. Prior owner said headlights only worked on high beams, to me it does seem to swap from high to low beams, but in either position the ampere meter shows a constant discharge condition, revving the engine does not bring it to the charge position. When using only parking lights or fog lights, speeding up the engine will bring the ampere meter to the charge position.

Do you feel I should be looking at the generator/voltage regulator or a problem with the headlights themselves? I did try connecting only one headlight at a time with the same results.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 8:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Packard 110 Coupe - Electrical:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 40 110 appears to have a typical headlight circuit with 2 bulbs in parallel. Specs say 45 watts on high beam, 40 low beam. Assuming no loss, 45 watts at 6v would be around 7 1/2 amps needed for each bulb. At the usual higher charging voltage, even less. The tail light and other bulbs would add another 2 or so amps to the total -- well within the typical headlight switch protection of 20 amps max for head, parking, tail and sometimes instrument lights. If both high and low work and the headlight protection isn't blowing, I doubt you have a problem with the lights or anything in the light circuit.

The generator max output is spec'd at 35 amps so if the amp meter is showing a discharge at a draw of roughly 15 amps or approximately half the maximum output, I would suspect the gen/reg is in need of service.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Thanks, I'll approach it from that angle, the cover of the regulator appears as new, but no guarantee that it's of the correct type.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim,
Congratulations and for including your '40 One-Ten Business Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 13:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Nice looking car. Know you'll enjoy it.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Thanks, I look forward to spending some time enjoying. You have some nice looking cars also.

We also have a 22nd series, similiar to a 23rd series that I grew us with, but always loved the prewar cars, fifty some years ago there was this nice 7 passenger 180, but I couldn't talk dad into providing the 75.00 purchase price, I've wanted one of that vintage ever since.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved