Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard MPG
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
OK, so we don't really worry about how many miles per gallon we get in these old cars. I know that. But for some reason people always ask the question anyway.

I checked mine this week ('49 22nd Series 288CID) and I got 14 MPG in mixed freeway/city/county road driving.

Does anyone else ever check their gas mileage?

Posted on: 2008/7/2 15:50
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard MPG
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's about what I got in my 56 on last road trip--15 something. Whats sad, it that it's just a little less than what I get in the 2007 company minivan which comes in at 2 cylinders and quite a few pounds less, I'd wager..

Posted on: 2008/7/2 15:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Last year I went to Barberton Ohio to a combined S/P meet. I drove very carefully out and back and 95% of the time was on an interstate. I got 17.5 which is the best I've ever gotten in a Packard. Normally around 15.5

Posted on: 2008/7/2 16:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I know that few who drive cars that are 50+ years old do as much highway driving as I do but am wondering what speeds are normally driven when such driving is done. When on the Florida Turnpike, I-4, I-95 and I-75, my '55 Pat WANTS to run 80 mph. I try to keep it closer to 70 - 75 but it's, "sweet," spot (where it seems that everything comes together, all components mesh in perfect harmony with each other and everything just seems, "right,") seems to be 80 mph. If you take your eyes off of the speedometer or let your attention wander and then look back at the speedo it's back at 79 - 80 mph. A couple of highway runs made with a tachometer and vacuum gauge hooked up in the cockpit seem to indicate that the engine is performing within its optimum operating range.

I know that the car's aerodynamics are bad and that it certainly doesn't achieve its best fuel efficiency at that speed but it's REALLY hard to keep it under 75. Being used as a daily driver, as it is, I've considered adding an aftermarket speed control.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 12:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

Loyd Smith wrote:
I've considered adding an aftermarket speed control.

I have one of those, I married her. She is always telling me to slow down as our local freeway is not the Autobahn!

Posted on: 2008/7/3 13:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Quote:

Loyd Smith wrote:
I've considered adding an aftermarket speed control.

I have one of those, I married her. She is always telling me to slow down as our local freeway is not the Autobahn!

Kev,

Know exactly how that feels, I've got one in my car too!

Posted on: 2008/7/3 15:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I got ya both beat. When my mother in law is riding in the car with the wife and I, I've dot dual air bags!

Posted on: 2008/7/3 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"What kind of mileage do you get?"

I love it when rubes ask questions like that.

"Where do you get parts for a car like that?"

Zurich. I have them flown in by private jet.

My team of mechanics installs them in my air conditioned garage. You have to be very particular when you own a car like that, an oil leak could ruin the Aubusson carpets on the garage floor.

It's not really all that expensive. I write everything off as a business expense to my Bahamas corporation. Then lease the car back to my Liechtenstein trust through my Swiss bank. This results in a perpetual tax loss carry forward for my Cayman Islands company.

The big expense is having the leather massaged with Oil of Olay by topless bikini models.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posted on: 2008/7/3 19:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I have a framed ad that came with my 49 deluxe eight (23rd series), called "HOW WOULD YOUR CAR RATE ON THIS PACKARD CHART?." They surveyed 1000 Golden Ann. Packard owners with 135 horsepower with overdrive. This was the result:

22 mpg and over 7%
21 9%
20 17%
19 24%
18 22%
17 12%
16 6%
15 and under 3%

They noted that the most frequent response was 19 mpg and 33% got more then 19 mpg. Interesting stuff! Take it for what its worth.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 21:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
You have to be careful with data like this; owners generally report the best mileage they ever achieve. Often, that is on the downhill trips (elevation 1000 to elevation 400) or with 20 mph tailwinds (Packards with their refrigerator aerodynamics are VERY sensitive to headwinds or tialwinds). Also, in the days when our Packards were new, the average highway speed was about 45 mph, not the speeds we drive today.

The book "Packard Gold Portfolio 1946-1958" from Brooklands Books, is a compilation of road tests and magazine descriptiosn from that actual era. It is very informative about what gas mileage was REAL for these cars. Some of the tests simply noted average mileage for the road test, while others actually used equipment to find the MPG at 30, 40, 50, and 60 mph. The results are interesting.

The BEST actual INSTRUMENTED mpg I found in there for Ultramatic-equipped cars at a CONSTANT 60 mph was about 15.5 mpg. The best instrumented mpg at 30 mph was just under 20. The AVERAGE MPG for Ulytramatic equipped cars was mmore like 12 to 13 (no kidding). Even the 3speed plus OD cars, while not showing an INSTRUMENTED tests, nevertheless showed average MPG of 12 to 13 where mpg was quoted at all.

Added edit: At CONSTANT speed, the Ultramatics would NOT have inferior mileage to that of the 3-speeds, since the Ultramatics bypass the converter and lock up at cruising speed. The 3-speed with overdrive would get slightly better mileage than the Ultramtics or 3-speeds without OD, due to the 30% gearing difference with OD engaged. But, that difference in mileage would be order of magnitude 5 to 8% (I have run similar tests on more modern vehicles using gearing differences of up to 22%, and gotten only 5% worse mileage at 60 mph with 22% stiffer (numerically lower) gearing).

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 6:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved