Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1946 transmission
Just popping in
Just popping in

vegas4al
See User information
I had my '46 transmission rebuilt with NOS parts to fix a syncro problem for 2nd and 3rd gears. It still grinds every time you shift unless you shift gears at less than 15 mph, and even then you get the occasional 'grind'. My mechanic is getting frustrated and I need any insight you can give me. I don't want to double-clutch for the rest of my life. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946 transmission
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How much free play in the clutch pedal and are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging? What weight gear oil in the transmission? Do you have confidence that the person installing the new sychros did the job properly?

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Where did you get the synchros? They are very rare and hard to come by.Since Packard manufactured their own trans, you have to get their synchros.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

vegas4al
See User information
I have 90wt gear oil presently, although we tried a heavier viscosity that made it worse and 50wt motor oil to see if that helped, but, it didn't. I asked him about the clutch fully releasing and he said it was. As for the shop, they are reputable and specialize in drivelines. They have been around since the 70's. Dan's Driveline in Las Vegas.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

vegas4al
See User information
I bought the syncros from Max Merritt Packard Supply.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It should be better, not worse with heavier gear oil so I don't understand that observation. Packard's recommedations were probably SAE90 in the winter and SAE140 in the summer. I'd check myself to make sure the clutch is fully disengaging - with the engine idling and the car in neutral, depress the clutch pedal fully to the toe board, pause 5 seconds, and put it into any gear. If the grinds, the clutch is not fully disengaging.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day vegas4al,
to PackardInfo.

Can't offer anything more, instead invite you to include your '46 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
vegas4al, I don't know which model Clipper you have or whether it is equipped with overdrive. The car in overdrive mode should make for easy and quiet gear changing as it freewheels. I had a crunching gear change from 2nd to high in my 47 Custom Clipper. It was less with the OD engaged, but would still make a noise although not as bad. My clutch was operating correctly, fully releasing and smooth. I was using 85W-140 gear oil. Along the way I noticed that the rubber bushings on the transmission's anti chatter rod were in bad shape. I installed new ones and wah la - the shifting problem mostly went away. I don't know how to explain this, but it is MUCH better. Something to consider.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/3 17:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Vegas,
Please keep us posted on your problem. I have exactly the same problem. I have had the clutch adjusted, and will perform the test Owen suggests as soon as I get the Clipper back together and off the blocks. Good Luck.
Mark

Posted on: 2013/4/3 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
These synchro problems are relatively new as years ago the biggest problem was the rotten column shift.

That snubber story is really neat. Unfortunately the Packard manual has virtually no troubleshooting items.

I stopped changing transmission oil because of shifting problems cropping up with the new oil. I never had a shift problem crop up after a clutch job so the problem is most likely internal.

End play should not be a problem because the spec can be set using shim stock rather than selective snap rings. This applies to OD transmissions only.

Obviously I don't have one here and analysis is beyond the typical flat rate trans shop job. Where I would start is to take those synchros to the bench and do the standard palm test for synchros using different oils.

If a new snynchro doesn't pass then the gears themselves may be wearing out.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 22:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved