Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940-120, engine compartment side panels
Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
I would like to know if anybody has any idea why my panels are bent like this. Does anybody have any picture of an unmolested panel so that I may restore this one to original design? When i get them fixed they will be heading to the powder coater.

Also does anybody have replacement grommets as shown in the top photo? Or any suggestions on how to restore it.

Thank you

Fred D

Attach file:

jpg  (164.14 KB)
496_51cc3eca71682.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (189.89 KB)
496_51cc3eded6b26.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940-120, engine compartment side panels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Fred,

My "guess" would be a previous owner had trouble getting them back in the car, it's difficult to reinstall them, so took this shortcut to aid getting them back in the car.

Regarding the grommet, have you tried Steele Rubber? Don't know if they have them, but worth a try.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 14:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Thank you Mal for the reply, that is what I thought too it definitely looks cobbled for some reason. Since I took it apart a long time ago.

I think that pack120 fan has one on ebay, I contacted him but the Packard store is closed until next week. I will see if he has a good pic as to what it should look like.

I haven't seen anything like the grommet in Steel but will check again. I have purchased nearly everything they have available for the car I will probable have it blasted, then powder coated, and then coated with liquid rubber, because it is so deteriorated and the coating is falling off, and with the 4 tabs it looks as if it is just a softener for the rough opening. I will post pics when I get under control. Your restoration blog is an insperation for me to get busy.

Thank you very much
Fred D

Posted on: 2013/6/27 19:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like a fairly large hole but Steele has some grommets under general use parts which might be large enough. Metro Molded Partshttp://www.metrommp.com/ has different types for larger holes listed on the universal parts page.

If you can't find a grommet, McMaster-Carrhttp://www.mcmaster.com/ has rubber edge trim by the foot in various shapes & sizes that might work with the hole or tabbed piece in a pinch.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hello All

I got the piece out and it appears as if has a thin rubber coating on both sides, I think after blasting, and powdercoating I will dip it in some rubber dip for tools i got from Harbor freight. I will post pictures during the process.

Still trying to figure out the appearance of the side shields for the engine compartment. It will be awhile before I get to installing them. Any addition pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Fred D

Posted on: 2013/6/29 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Thanks everyone for the comments. I may have found the answers to all issues. I contacted the folks in Indiana and I believe they have the original drawings concerning the panels and hopefully will be receiving them in the near future, I will keep you all posted. Hope to get back to work on this auto very soon.

Fred D

Posted on: 2013/9/20 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Since you're doing a thorough job on those side panels, Fred, you might make a skirt for the bottom of them. These pix are from my 40 160, but if you see little holes spaced a few inches apart along the bottom lip of your 120 panels, they are for riveting a skirt. I made mine out of painter's drop cloth of canvas fused with vinyl on one side. There's more about these splasher panels on The Duchess Project blog, pages 3 and 5. And, yes, please document with photos what you are doing to them.
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (23.91 KB)
1067_523c8fb980bd4.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (25.48 KB)
1067_523c8fc2df139.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (20.06 KB)
1067_523c8fcd5b834.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (24.91 KB)
1067_523c8fd99e607.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2013/9/20 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Thanks Joe I've seen quite a bit watching the Dutchess, and am impressed with it. Hopefully I will get more info on the fabric when the drawings get here. I don't know if they will be of the whole assembly or a fab of the piece itself. Time will tell. I also have the original fabric on the one side and it looks as if it is a real coarse burlap impregnated with some material it may even give a part number for the fabric.

Fred D.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 19:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FPTGearhead
See User information
I have a '38 Eight and just recently fixed or should say rebent those same side panels on my car. Those rolled bends were on my panels too. Pretty obvious on my car that a previous mechanic did not like to remove those panels when they were taking out the radiator. They were bent back to gain access to the radiator mounting bolts and brackets. Would like to know what the specific shape should be so let us know what you find out.

Regarding the fabric skirts, where do I get more details on the fabrication of those parts. Will surf this site but anxious to learn more about what I can use to replace that dried up leather like material...

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 18:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved