Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Packard Clipper 2dr Hardtop
Just popping in
Just popping in

bigbadbernard
See User information
Hi all,
Yesterday I had acquired a 1956 Packard Clipper Custom 2 door hardtop for the modest price of $5,000. The car has all exterior parts on as of right now; however, the current paint shines, but has minor scratches. The chrome is still shiny, but the trim above the grill and the side trim could use work. The interior was done very nicely; but needs to go back into the car. Was $5,000 a high price for this car?

Posted on: 2013/12/12 8:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Packard Clipper 2dr Hardtop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
A few more facts are needed.

Does the engine run quietly (no lifter clack)?

Do the brakes work?

If so equipped (it should be because it is a Custom), does the Torsion-Level work?

What kind and age are the tires?

Does the windshield wiper work?

What's the condition of the front suspension, particularly the inside upper control arm bushings?

(added on edit) If so equipped, does the Twin Ultramatic transmission work properly and without noise or whine?

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/12 10:54
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of photos so we could see the car would help.

Aside from mechanical questions Craig mentioned, If the paint and chrome is reasonably decent that is a plus. Since you said upholstery was done nicely, assume that was recently redone. If upholstery was done correctly -- or at least you are happy with it -- you don't have to worry about needing anything there. Doing upholstery is a substantial portion of your purchase price all by itself so not needing to redo that puts you ahead.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 11:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi BadBernie:

It depends on how you look at it. If the interior is the right pattern then you probably did okay.

As a vehicle, can you buy a second car with the same utility for more or less than $5,000?

If you plan on reselling for a quick profit then you really need to pursue cars they want towed away.

Lately asking prices have risen along with the stock market and deteriorating national currency. However, people are still getting poorer despite what psychotic economists are saying, so you should be ready to live with anything you buy.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bigbadbernard,
to Packardinfo.

And I invite you to include your '56 Clipper Custom Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/12/12 12:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Did you buy that Blue on Blue car from Rob?

Posted on: 2013/12/13 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
First of all, let me congratulate you on your purchase. A 1956 Clipper is a great looking mid-1950s car and the $5,000 price, imho, is a decent price for a running, driveable Packard. Assuming from your original post that the drive train is in good working order, you did alright.

I have seen a black & white 1956 Clipper at a local auto restoration shop in Lansdale, is that the vehicle you purchased?

I also see that you are in Doylestown, which is not far from my neck of the woods in Southeastern PA. Perhaps we'll pass each other on the local roads sometime next spring or summer!

Again, congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the Packard family!

Posted on: 2013/12/14 12:33
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigbadbernard
See User information
@PA PATRICIAN no, this car was actually bought and always was a local Easton, Pa car. We are the third owners. The current owner was the next of kin; and wanted nothing to do with it. There is not an ounce of rust on the car. A true score!

@64avanti no, this was an Easton, PA car its whole life.

Pics to come soon!

Posted on: 2013/12/16 16:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved