Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

Ozstatman, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

question(s) regarding starting circuit super clipper 2126-2151
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Have pulled my 1947 super clipper custom eight out of prolonged storage. After several miscues/bad decisions on shops etc, I now have the car with new wiring harness going in to replace the old that was removed by previous shop. Starting circuit certainly seems well documented in numerous diagrams and schematics however, there is reference to a "starting switch" that is downhill from the first accelerator actuated overdrive switch. Cannot find this switch anywhere. I drove this car last in 1967 and remember that it started with ignition-on, then accelerator depressed to firewall. I can see that switch operating but have not been able to get current to the starter....
Any suggestions for troubleshooting this area. I do remember having a sluggish starter circuit when last trying to get the car running (last century). Starter was rebuilt and tested ok. This is about the only thing holding up progress at this point.....HELP!

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:04
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Re: question(s) regarding starting circuit super clipper 2126-2151
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The custom 8 is kind of interesting because of the starter safety circuit used on the 356 engines.

The starting circuit begins at the ign switch with a wire on GA terminal which goes to the starter switch on the carb. That is a black plastic assy with two terminals located on the rear side of the carb and as you said, is operated by pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor. From the starter switch the wire goes to one of the small upper screw terminals on the starter solenoid to operate a relay inside that rectangular enclosure which in actuality is the item that operates the solenoid..

The other small screw terminal is the other side of the relay coil and would be connected directly to ground on ordinary setups. With the safety circuit in the custom 8, it connects to the ARM or GEN terminal on the regulator which provides a path to the generator. The circuit then goes thru the generator armature coils and finally gets ground via an internal generator ground connection. The purpose is once the engine is running and generator is putting out normal voltage, the potential on each side of the relay coil is the same so the starter cannot accidentally be engaged should something be out of adjustment in the carb switch setup.

The circuit apparently worked reasonably well as it started prewar and carried thru on senior cars thru 52. The circuit did have some issues though and at times the engine would not crank. Packard issued a bulletin on how to revert to a fixed ground if the operator did have problems. If you do not have your generator completely wired that could be the source of your current no crank situation.

The only other switches associated with the accelerator are located on the firewall. Fairly low down and mounted on a bracket is the overdrive kickdown switch. Higher up near the coil and OD solenoid and operated by a short link rod is the accelerator switch for the Electro-Matic clutch if the car is so equipped.

Posted on: 2015/7/20 15:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
custo eight,
for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Long WB Sedan in the Registry!

Posted on: 2015/7/20 17:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thanks, Howard. Had the generator rebuilt and installed. Finally found the right fan belt/generator belt so hoping we will have this up an running in the next couple of weeks. Appreciate your incite and will share with my "witch doctor mechanic".
bob

Posted on: 2015/9/12 12:47
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
That is one very good looking Packard! It's the first one I've seen with the rear quarter window blanked out. Really excellent. I think the Clippers were beautiful cars.

I'm hoping to drive my '55 to my 50th reunion next summer as well. Good luck. You'll get all the info you need here.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 21:31
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There is another one of those floating around with the blanked rear quarter.

I knew the guy who had it and there was a big story about how it was some special order, one off custom job for some state governor.

Obviously that story is bunk.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 7:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved