Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 153

37Blanche, Don B, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Three epeed six
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Does anybody have any infomation on a 1937 115-c six three speed translation . I would like to check thr synchronizer clearance while I have it open. It looks good and is tight but I would like to know more about. Installed new seal. Thank's. Dave

Posted on: 2015/12/24 11:56
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Re: Three epeed six
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
In the Packard Literature section on this site there is a 1937 shop manual

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/591423O/zeta-plus-single-use-depth-filtration-product-portfolio-pdf.pdf

On page 27, the description may help.

Posted on: 2015/12/25 11:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Thank you for the reply, but I am looking for a more detailed shop manual if one was ever available . Thanks again. Dave

Posted on: 2015/12/25 11:52
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The shop manual barely has the most basic information. You've got a much better chance for useful information by searching the Service Letters.

Posted on: 2015/12/25 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This bit from an old Motors Manual has some info but unlike the senior and the column shift trans, not a whole lot seems to have been written by Packard on the 35-8 junior cane shift model. Someone else might know if any of the clearance specs given for those other trans are also applicable to the junior model.

Attach file:

jpg  (249.59 KB)
209_567d8211c5dc5.jpg 989X1280 px

jpg  (195.37 KB)
209_567d821c3add5.jpg 989X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/12/25 12:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
As an alternative and means of getting tolerances to the .001", you could write to Bruce Blevins, for the original engineering blueprints for your transmission. There's a fund-raising fee that benefits the Packard foundation or proving grounds. If he can find the blueprint for your transmission out of 35,000, you can get the precision you require.
packardblueprint@aol.com

Posted on: 2015/12/25 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Fairly sure this unit is like the later ones in that there is no adjustment for the synchronizers, nor is any needed. If the synchro rings are good, that is pretty much all you need to know. You can only verify their goodness by driving the car or by taking trans all apart and having a look. The factory did not describe an elaborate shimming procedure because there wasn't one. With the trans out of the car you can make a rough verification of function by locking the output shaft and turning the input by hand. As you move into 2nd or 3d, before the dogs engage, you should be able to feel a substantial drag on the input shaft.

Posted on: 2015/12/25 18:59
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
Thank you for the replies it's a help, and Ross I can feel the drag before the dog engagement from the tapered brass clutch washer. I guess you could call it that . This is very helpful . I have a Apple iPad and I can't post a picture on this sight, I haven't figured it out yet. The forward washer has more ware on it than the back. Thank's. Dave

Posted on: 2015/12/25 19:46
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is what my Motor's Auto Repair Manual has to say. Looks like it is a non-serviceable part.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (178.22 KB)
565_567ece4676fb6.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/12/26 12:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
JW thank you for more infomation it is very helpful . I guess I will close it up with the new clutch assembly and run it. Thank's to all Dave

Posted on: 2015/12/26 13:34
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved